Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re sputters after mild puddles

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22re sputters after mild puddles

Ok i looked through search and couldnt find much on this topic. Im sure there is something. Anyways when i hit some water, and i mean like puddles were your going like 30 km/h and water goes up 10 feet haha, but not submerging it. i get this sputter if i give it a bit of gas. it will idle and rev up if i ease the gas on but if i put my foot down it sputters. know i thought i knew why and thought it was a couple obvious things. 1. distributor getting water inside, 2. water in air box, or some other electrical area. popped the hood took a look and engine bay looked decently dry, distributor seemed dry, nothing in airbox. so i drove er for another 5 mins and it fixed it self, so i went back to getting stuck in mud ruts too big for my tiny 31's . Soooo i kinda want to eliminate this problem buy sealing distributor and making one of those snorkles inside the fender deals so i can hunt puddles this winter . whats your guys .02?
Old 10-20-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
have you done any mods to air box or is it stock? and second, get new cap n rotor, get some black rtv put a bead around your dist and put on the cap then put some dyelectric grease sp? on all plugs and the plugs to the cap, get some tiny zip ties and zip tie the wire connection to the cap...and if you wanna go crazy theres a small hole in the dist cap, get some vac hose line and route inside the cab water proofing 101, i think camo had the info....i think....
Old 10-20-2009, 03:59 PM

oh yeah duh and check all your intake hose connections to make sure there nice n tight
Old 10-20-2009, 04:35 PM

thanks yoterr i will look into getting a new cap and rotor and after i get that i will seal the crap out of everything. one question though are you saying put a small vacume hose from the hole in the distributor into the cab? if i heard correctly? and btw the only mod to my intake is my K@N filter and i just checked my intake hoses connections and they were tight so i tightened them a tad more to rule out that one.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 PM

yeah its a pressure release hole? or something of that sort basically water can get in a screw up all that waterproofing that you just did it has to be kinda big tho. little bit bigger than a vac hose, n i used a ziptie to keep that guy on there too
Old 10-20-2009, 05:17 PM

cool beans yoterr i appreciate your help! going to see what i can do now
Old 10-20-2009, 06:12 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
One thing I could think of is that years ago I used to wash my engine regularly at the carwash...spray it with degreaser and have at it. Few years ago, I barely made it out of the carwash and I was dead on the side of the road.....changed the plugs and wires right there in the parking lot after a few hours of finding a ride etc.... Why did that happen? not sure, but chaning plugs and wires helped, or was it the amount of time that had passed that helped? Don't know.

same thing about 2 months ago, used a pressure washer and Gunk on the engine started right up and ran fine so I thought I was OK, but a few hours later could not get it started, cranked and cranked.......changed the plugs and wires.....no better. Gave up (the engine was dead if you read my rebuild thread), next day, started right up. What the heck?

Only thing I noticed, was when I took my injectors out, the little O-rings or whatver they are looked pretty bad / dry rotted....am I sucking water in??? Don't know. Distributor "boot" was secure and dry underneath when changing wires so I doubt I got water there..................

When you drive trough a "puddle" at speed, who knows where the water goes, just look at the underside of your hood and you'll see water and mud marks and hitting a belt or the fan sprays it who knows where.

My suspicion is with my injectors, all my vacuum hoses were good. My suspicion may be the same with yours.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:29 PM

yes thats what i does kinda lol it has never died on me but it kinda hesitates and sputters a bit if i give her a spike of throttle. i saw your thread to and that didnt look good at all in there. my 22re is a brand new and has around 75,000 km on it because i asume the original owner drove the old engine into the ground as my truck seems to be a stranger to regular maintenance lol untill i came along and took care BTW i find 95% of the clatterbox sound is from my leaky exhaust flange at the manafold. how i know is i have had to re seal it twice and for the first week its quiet as hell like a mouse then slowly it starts to tick again???

Last edited by 91_TOYOTA_4x4; 10-20-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 PM

why are you leaking and loose so much there? Warped?? need new studs??

hey yeah, quite a mess, but a good experience, will be even better when I get it back together.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM

yah that will be a good experience to do that.

this is whats going on. i got the truck and it ticked like hell, i thought it was the valve train so i adjusted my rockers to spec and didnt notice much of a difference. so i kept driving her untill my down pipe broke near the manifold because the previous owner put a cherry bomb on and left the exhaust half done so over time it broke the pipe. so i replaced the broken rusty down pipe and it was super quiet for a week. then planned for a shop to button up the rest of the exhaust with the exit out the back. the guy there said the new pipe i just put on cracked a bit because of the setup and said he would weld it and do the rest for $150. so i did and again it was quiet until 2 weeks later it started coming back lol so know i live with it haha and one of the big ishuse i problee the fact that i have a hole behind the peddles were im fixing rust so lots of sound gets in haha.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 PM

2 things.....stereo and loud tires.

But holy crap!! are you getting exhaust in the cab????? you are gonna die man if you did that for long...........get on fixing those holes. Hopefully the shop did you good, but starting from the front, see if the exhaust manifold is warped and studs and keep going towards the back and do it right.

or drive with the windows down, or buy a canary to drive with you. if he dies, pull the hell over!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 PM

haha my tires are kinda loud and my stereo is always on haha. but its not a bad leak, i can never smell exhaust and the guys there did a realy good job i just think its just the way it is. you know what i will try and get my camera going and make a youtube video with a link for you. its not too bad now but it ticks lol. and rofl i will try to find a canary but dont know were to get one for the life of me lol.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 PM

good luck, I'll be watching, going to bed, 445am was soooooooo long ago......UGH!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Here is something you might try.
Start your truck at night and spray a mist of water on the motor and plug wires and see if you get a stumble somewhere.
The reason you do it at night is you might be able to see an electrical arc easier.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM

and if your paranoid use the dyelectric grease on all ur plugs n connectors inside the engine bay, just try not to brake any lol
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the tps connector. mine got wet and was having the same problem as you. i unplugged the tps and the problem went away. drove around for abt an hour to dry it out. plugged it back in and the problem was fixed...
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM

ok i will check the tps connector next time this happens and im going to try that spray water over plug thing tonight if i have time. just one question for you guys? Were is the ecu located? i think its under the pass seat but not sure? reason being is that i have had water in my truck a few times and if the ecu is under the seat then its getting wet lol. so is there a good spot i can put it were it will be safe from water?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:22 PM

not entirely sure but i thought it was at the passenger's side front behind the kick panel.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 PM

hey guys off the topic but guess what im doing this weekend? replacing my right knuckle, cv, and upper balljoint. fun time it will be im going to try and put pics on my build thread when i do it
Old 04-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Hey i finally got a new cap a rotor lol put it on and did what yoter said and put dielectric greese on the plug wires then tied them off eith mini zip ties. Havent done the black rvt seal yet but i will in time. I can get pics in a bit too. Oyah and i would recomend the zip ties, makes the plug wires super snug and they dont move around at all lol

Quick Reply: 22re sputters after mild puddles