Go Back  YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Reload this Page >

22RE rough idle...the journey

Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Old 08-12-2018, 03:33 PM

Hello everyone, 1st time poster, but I have been creeping the forums for quite awhile. I recently bought a 94 with the 22RE. The details of buying it are: 150k miles on body, and 20/30k on re-manufactured motor from Grooms, in Nashville. I get the truck and notice it has a rough idle and runs rich. the idle almost sounded like a dead miss. I read all the threads I could find and started with the obvious:
- changed plugs,wires, distributor, ect.
- checked TPS, passed the tests.
- replaced all 4 fuel injectors, cleaned intake and TB.

today pulled the valve cover and checked the clearenances. They where all super tight. I adjusted and set cold and hot clearances and the engine idles perfectly now.
The remaining issue that i noticed today was a hesitation when the throttle is reved. It stumbles a second them responds.

I checked the TPS this evening and it needs adjusting, and i have a denso O2 sensor going in tommorrow.

My word of caution to anyone would be just because a motor is from a professional outfit that rebuilds engines does not mean they know what they are doing. Besides the valve clearances being way off, the Scale that has the 5* and 0* markings to find TDC was completely broken off. So I had to use tape and a sharpie to make a scale off of another motor.

I hope this helps someone and I will try my best to keep this updated until the problem is resolved. If you have any recommendations or input please share. I plan on putting some pictures up in the future.

A big thanks to all the people that contribute to these pages. I was reading threads from 10 years ago am grateful to all the knowledge and experience on this site. thanks everyone, - Traveling Man

Old 08-13-2018, 07:35 AM

The cast peice on the oil pump with the timing marks was snapped off? Not a good sign of the care and attention to build quality, but glad it seems to be running better.

I'd pick up a compression tester (about $40) to get a cheap reading on the overall health of the engine.