86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE odd idle characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE odd idle characteristics

I have a 1993 Pickup, fuel injected 22RE, manual regular cab.

I had been developing odd idle issues over the last year or so. Upon swapping my instrument cluster for one with a tach, I began to really notice my idle was far from consistent.

Step one, I cleaned my throttle body thoroughly, changed my air filter, cleaned out the airbox and adjusted my idle.

While adjusting my idle, I could get the truck to sit perfectly at 750/850 rpms however after a test drive around the lot, it wouldn't sit at that idle again. I cleaned the throttle pulley and scratched my head.

Sometimes while driving, it would idle high soon after a cold start- except it would be like 90 degrees out, not at all like one of those cold morning idles. After a few stop signs it would generally settle below 1000 rpms and start to behave. started slipping my foot beneath the gas pedal and lifting up to drop the idle to a normal level at stops. This is both annoying and impractical.

I took the next step and use the LCE hose kit to swap every vacuum line under my hood. As soon as I started it up, the truck was idling at about 2200 rpms. I figured I must have been overcompensating one hell of a vacuum leak from one of the old lines. After dropping the adjusting nuts on the cable back towards the middle of the threads (where it should be, not maxed out like before) The truck idled great. Assuming my issues were solved, I took the truck for a spin.

I immediately noticed that my gas pedal had a dead spot, as though the throttle cable had too much slack in it and wasnt responding smoothly at all. After a spin around the parking lot, it was chugging away at about 450 rpms. I managed to adjust the idle back to where the cable was before the vacuum lines were swapped and it began to idle at a healthy beat again.

Its mostly bang-on on a good day, however if its cold, damp or rainy in particular, it likes to sit around 500 rpms. This is incredibly annoying and I'm exhausting the simple options of a haynes manual reader like myself.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to how I can get my idle to stay consistent?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 88 4runner idles like that also however i fix it evertime by cleaning the thottle body. And by cleaning i almost remove it and clean it from behind the plate that opens and closes. I had a little black stuff behind the plate that i think is effecting the plate from returning to the normal position. My only other guess is the dashpot is not functioning properly. That is below the tb that is spring loaded