Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE No Start Condition.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE No Start Condition.

88 Toyota Pickup with 22RE

It started when I had to leave for a couple of months. The truck was running fine and when I returned it wouldn't start any more. I dropped the gas tank and pulled the pump. It ran when I ran it straight from the battery. I purchased a new fuel pump hanger module and reinstalled the pump. I also changed the fuel filter for good measure. Come to find out that I mixed up my fuel lines from the hangar and I was sending fuel up the return line that runs from the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I had a friend help me remove the bed and we ran the lines correctly. I also took this opportunity to install an inline fuel pump so that I wouldn't have to pull the bed or drop the gas tank for future work on the fuel pump. I used an Inline Fuel Pump from an 84 Celica. Before we finished wiring it in we ran the wires up to the battery and manually ran the pump while trying to crank the engine. At this point the engine won't start. We pulled the spark plugs and confirmed we have spark. We also sprayed starter fluid into the intake and the truck will run on starter fluid. Also I disconnected my return line and gas does pour out which leads me to believe that fuel is getting through the system and being returned back to the gas tank. My mechanic friend is pretty good with parts and diagnosing them but this has us both stumped. We think that for some reason the injectors aren't engaging but can't figure out why. I have read several forums where others have run into a similar situation. We checked the Solenoid Resistor and got a 3.4 Ohms resistance reading. The service manual states it should be between 2-3. I am not sure if this could be the cause. Before we pull the upper intake and start checking power to the wire running to the injectors, I wanted to get some ideas from others with more experience with these engines.

Also I would like to know:
1. Can I leave the old submerged fuel pump hooked up with an inline fuel pump installed?
2. Do the injectors need a certain amount of pressure to engage or is it all based on timing?
3. Is it a mistake to assume that I can manually run the pump at the same time as trying to crank the engine in order to verify fuel is getting where it needs??
4. Any way it could just be a fuel pressure issue?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and feedback. I know this is a lot of information. I will provide more specifics as needed to help diagnose.