86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re knock

Hey everyone, im making this thread to get help with this diagnosis.
its an 86 22re. Slightly knocks on cold start about 3-4 times then quiets down and sounds good. It also knocks above 2500 rpm in neutral. When under load/driving, it doesnt knock at all until i let off the throttle to shift as the rpm decreases, you can only hear it for about 1 second.
I pulled the valve cover, inspected rocker arms and checked torque on the head bolts. Did a valve adjustment, intake side was loose but nothing crazy. Has a new timing chain with metal backed guides, everything looked good there. Changed the oil with some 10w30, didnt find any glitter. Factory oil gauge is wacky because previous owner put the wrong sending unit in, so i did a oil pressure check with a manual gauge. Cold start @ idle - 65psi. About 20seconds after cold start, when snapping the throttle, it would spike to about 80psi. Held good oil pressure at idle but slowly dropped as the oil got hotter.
I let it reach normal operating temp and these were the readings i got. 19psi @idle, 38psi @ about 2000 rpm, and would hit 70psi when quickly snapping the throttle.
To me those are great readings considering ive read online that these engines can survive @ 10psi at idle and an additional 10psi per 1000 rpm (please correct me if im wrong).
So basically im here thinking maybe the bearings are bad but not bad enough to lose oil pressure?? i was gonna throw a timing light on it but to me it doesnt sound like piston slap. Maybe wristpin? Not sure.
Hoping some of you guys could help me out before i just yank the engine out.
Ive never used any forum before so i'll try to figure out how to get a video up and post it here asap. thanks in advance