Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE Intake/Battery Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I finished mine today. Now it won't stay running after it's started. Any suggestions? I'll have pics later.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats how it acts when the AFM is not plugged in. Make sure the connection is good.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chapman88SR5
Thats how it acts when the AFM is not plugged in. Make sure the connection is good.
I never uplugged it but I'll check it.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You never unplugged it? How did you manage to get the AFM to the other side or move it period?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chapman88SR5
You never unplugged it? How did you manage to get the AFM to the other side or move it period?
Took the wires out of the plastic sleeve and routed it round the firewall and down the passenger side. You can see the wires at the top of photo #1.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

sooo I'm missing something here...."where did you get the "polished metal 90"?
Cause I'll do this swap if I can get one of those NICE by the way!!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by crackerjack
sooo I'm missing something here...."where did you get the "polished metal 90"?
Cause I'll do this swap if I can get one of those NICE by the way!!
I raped the 90 from a Mustang cold air kit. I think I may have another. I did have to cut about an inch off the end that faces the fender for clearance. If you're interested let me know, just pay to ship it.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 PM

Looks very good! Is it runnin right now? Also check all the connections on the wires for the battery. How did you lengthen those?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4countrygirl
Looks very good! Is it runnin right now? Also check all the connections on the wires for the battery. How did you lengthen those?
4 foot battery cables from Autozone. Ran them through the hole by washer fluid bottle, around the front core support, and out by the hole by the coolant overflow. Tied them into the old cables. I removed the old terminals and used the bolt holes from the old and new cables. Kind of low tech but has worked in the past on other vehicles.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:05 AM

Would it be better to solder(spelling) them together?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 AM

I have been checkin' this thread and contemplating whether or not to do this mod. It seems to me that the only thing i have a problem with is the filter element. Studies have shown that since these cone filters let more air through, they also allow a higher dust particle ingestion. By all means, extremely practical for the road truck ... but the performance increase your feeling i believe can be achieved by using the stock setup and adding a deck plate mod, or just simply drilling the airbox. Plus, Toyota did a good amount of thinking before they placed the air box where they did, and if you noticed, there is a stock ram type tube that funnels air from around the headlamp and forces it into the air box. I drilled my airbox because it felt sluggish, like you said countrygirl. Once i was done i noticed a peppier engine for sure. doesn't your setup defeat the purpose of a cold air intake ... if the air is from within the engine bay therefore inherently warm?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 AM

Maybe Im lost. Why are yall doing this? Better performance? This is the first time ive seen this done.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Itoyota
I have been checkin' this thread and contemplating whether or not to do this mod. It seems to me that the only thing i have a problem with is the filter element. Studies have shown that since these cone filters let more air through, they also allow a higher dust particle ingestion. By all means, extremely practical for the road truck ... but the performance increase your feeling i believe can be achieved by using the stock setup and adding a deck plate mod, or just simply drilling the airbox.
precisely why i went with an amsoil filter. my personal airbox mod along with it opened up a tremendous amount of intake air. noticeable.

Originally Posted by Itoyota
Plus, Toyota did a good amount of thinking before they placed the air box where they did, and if you noticed, there is a stock ram type tube that funnels air from around the headlamp and forces it into the air box. I drilled my airbox because it felt sluggish, like you said countrygirl. Once i was done i noticed a peppier engine for sure. doesn't your setup defeat the purpose of a cold air intake ... if the air is from within the engine bay therefore inherently warm?
i've often wondered if toyota designed the intake length harmonically. anybody? it's the only question keeping me from doing the airbox/battery swap this summer.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

I know this thread is a bit old, but I was thinking of doing this air/battery swap over Thanksgiving wknd and wanted to get some fresh opinions. Has anyone else did this? Or the people from this thread... what do you think now? What if I just swapped the stock airbox over to the pass side?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
I know this thread is a bit old, but I was thinking of doing this air/battery swap over Thanksgiving wknd and wanted to get some fresh opinions. Has anyone else did this? Or the people from this thread... what do you think now? What if I just swapped the stock airbox over to the pass side?
Youd be just as good off picking up a new AFM from an 82 supra and tossing a K&N filter on it. Direct plug and play on the AFM, you take the battery box out but leave the cold tube to direct cold air to your filter and dont have to mess with the battery cables and extra hardware.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 AM

I don't think you want the pare (pair) valve to be cut into the vacuum side of the intake. I would think that it will screw it up when it opends as your AFM flapper will close due to loss of some vacuum. Any Problems?

wow this is an old thread.............oopps
Old 11-20-2007, 12:04 PM

I ran this setup and i have been running and will not change a drilled airbox setup (in retrospect, i wish i would have done the deck plate mod)

Personal results and interperetations.
Open element as done in thread.
Good idea if your truck does not hit trails. As i said, i had this setup and ended up with water and muck ingestion into the throttle body to the throttle butterfly valve but no further (thank GOD). It sounded like a toy cuz of the high pitch wa wa wa wa due to the pair valve, and didn't help fuel economy.
Stock setup
Well, it's stock not much to say there. Toyota did it for lots of reasons. Not gonna argue.
Mod Air box
Perfect for my driving habits and tendencies. Increased airflow. Combination of both cold and warm air (if deck mod you have a choice)
Low probability of accidental water ingestion due to mechanical fan.
Nice deep sporty sound from under the hood ( Out sounds the Dynomax performance muffler) And like javadoody says, it's that way for a reason. And i think toyota put it there
1) harmonically. I put in air cycling device (tornado) to increase air ratio. I got worse MPG and it drove the same.
2) Particulate filtrarion efficiency (IE filter that will stop mud and water( can show pics)
3) water clearance and protection from the unstoppably powerfull mechanical fan that will toss muddy water all over everything. yeah.

this is more like a dollar. there goes the 2 cents. whatevs.

Last edited by Itoyota; 11-20-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:05 AM

Afm Relocate Dual Battery Upgrade And Prep For Snorkel

Hay folk noobie for this fourm but not a noobie for working on toys
im looking to relocate AFM to passenger side but set it up so that when money permiting i can install a custon snorkel also as i have a 9k winch i would like to have the dual battery set up to halp handel the load it demands
will post pic as i begine soon i have ideas in my head but will also like input from pros thanks for your input in advance

JW
1990 4runner
22re
btw great pic for the AFM relocate
Old 05-24-2008, 03:40 PM

so for the extended battery cables, can you extend the cable that goes from the positive terminal to the ECU with a basic double sided cable attachment? or how are you guys extending that cable?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 PM

How did you guys legthen the wire that goes into the fuse box? Also, is the diameter of the trottle body 3 in. or 2 3/4?