Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re gas mileage bad...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You do realize it's a 4cyl trying to push around the same weight as a 6cyl? Yet you think the 4 should do better than the 6, economically speaking... cause it has 2 less cylinders?

Yeah, go drive it, and drive it easy. I'm fairly confident you'll find it can do as well as the v6... unless something else is wrong.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abecedarian
I appreciate the argument but it's led us nowhere.

I can get 20 MPG out of my 88 (my avatar) driving around town. I shift early and don't hit the throttle hard.

Maybe the fact I'm anal-retentive about timing, TPS adjustments, etc. helps.

I get about this as well running 33 inch tires and 4:88 gears. I would check maybe your intake and exhaust systems. Semi plugged cat? Other than that I would say you have an injector leaking away.

I thought of one other thing, do you drive only up hill??? I don't know man, but when you figure it out, let us all know!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay it has 233,000 miles on it. (then again my v6 has over 20,000 miles more and i drive quickly, quite agressively and i get 15+ mpg)

I would do a compression test.

I see the list of parts that are new you posted a head of time.
So if the engine is running strong right?

Im no expert by any means but i just thought maybe if one or more of the brakes are dragging badly, that could be a problem right?

When was teh last time the brakes where checked?

Last edited by 904_runner; 02-15-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea i'll see what i can get out of her.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 87LVRunner
I get about this as well running 33 inch tires and 4:88 gears. I would check maybe your intake and exhaust systems. Semi plugged cat? Other than that I would say you have an injector leaking away.

I thought of one other thing, do you drive only up hill??? I don't know man, but when you figure it out, let us all know!

good point, the gears and all.
I'm on 31" tires and stock gears (4.10 IIRC, had 28" tires originally)

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-15-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:57 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
replace the 02 sensor. you may not throw a code for it.. its still working, its just not sending the right signal. Also I would check the coolant temp sensor that sends the signal to the computer. Maybe be sending a slightly rich condition. And your Cold start injector may be leaking. It may not be one single thing thats broken or whatever. It could be several things going wrong but in little amounts..
Old 02-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abecedarian
good point, the gears and all.
I'm on 31" and stock gears (4.10 IIRC, had 28" tires originally)

Of course, grandpa passes me on his zippy scooter.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 87LVRunner
Of course, grandpa passes me on his zippy scooter.
yeah, he passed me a while ago... told me to tell you to get out of the way.

his 'hover round' hates passing people.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM

Ok for new reply peeps thanks um starting with the first guy I've not yet had time to see if the intake system leaks but there are no noticeable leaks and donot hear any but it does have a brand new main air intake hose from the filter to Throttle body. It has a few tiny exhaust leaks at the end of the header where it connects to the lower exhaust by the converter. The cat has been removed and insides knocked out and does not leak. No i don't drive hills at all really. Sec guy I am thinking about the compression i have another post about brakes and it has had an entire brake over haul and are all brand new with no drag.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 PM

Hum.

Well then...

Do you let your truck idle A LOT??
Tire pressure?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:03 PM

It has only one O2 sensor on the header. And i dunno if its bad or not. It has NO fuel leaks anywhere near injectors or nothin Coolant temp sense may be a cause but i would think its working
Old 02-15-2009, 09:04 PM

exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor will tend to cause the O2 to send a 'lean' signal to the ECU causing the ECU to make the mixture rich, thus causing more fuel to be injected than necessary...
... but I guess you already knew that.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:04 PM

Idle alot? You mean like running into the quickimart and letting it run outside or what... tire pressure is perfectly even 34lbs allround did that the other day.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Yae i think it does have a few tiny leaks around the header gasket on the cyl head...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:06 PM

^that may very well be your problem

Yes i meant let it idle a lot.

I go wheeling with people that will let there truck run all day without shutting it off.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 PM

Nah i don't let it run much unless its gonna be a few secs or somethin... but yea i've though about that exhaust leak + o2 sensor but i dunno seems like to much gas milage loss for that i dunno.... how many o2 sensors am i supose to have anyway just that one?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:29 PM

My 2wd 94 reg cab with 22RE and 5speed and 205-75R14 tires gets 24 - 26 mpg and I think I could get better if I tried a bit harder. So, I don't see the added weight and increased rolling resistance as reasonable accounting for really poor gas mileage -- on the order of 10mpg or so (100 miles per tank. How much gas in a tank?). Jeez is there a big cloud of black smoke following these vehicles around? That's a serious question.

Probably, my driving habits are not all that different from Abe's. I don't accelerate hard, I don't use the brakes much, I tend to drive at constant speeds as much as possible. On the highway, I like to drive at or above the speed limit, so I could do better with mileage by driving less than 75 to 80 on the highway.

So, my feeling is that decreasing gas mileage from the 22 to 24mpg range possible (assuming that even Abe can do better) with a 4wd 22RE with manual transmission by 50% requires some seriously doing, probably with something mechanicals contributing.

Look for evidence of unburned fuel. Check the fuel injection questions cited. If the O2 sensor is old (maybe more that 40kmiles) consider replacing it with a good quality sensor. Consider having the injectors cleaned and tested (about $100 or so).

Other things -- air up your tires, use 5w30 motor oil (which could be at least as good for lubrication anyway) throw the 500# gorilla out of the back seat (after asking nicely).
Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Nah i don't let it run much unless its gonna be a few secs or somethin... but yea i've though about that exhaust leak + o2 sensor but i dunno seems like to much gas milage loss for that i dunno.... how many o2 sensors am i supose to have anyway just that one?
your truck should just have the one o2 sensor on the manifold, if you dont know when it was replaced last it would be a good idea to do so and deff. replace the manifold gasket, as stated earlier it will fool the o2 sensor and make it run rich.

you should be able to test the coolant temp sensor with an ohms meter, a fsm or haynes manual will have the proper specifications for it.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:16 AM

yea your o2 sensor could make that much of a difference. you may think your motor is running fine just because it isnt pinging or missfiring or anything but it could be running quite rich. o2 sensors get lazy when they get old and will slowly give you worse and worse mileage. if there is an exhuast leak and it runs rich it will plug the o2 sensor up quicker. if you want to try to revive it a little bit pull it out and get the end of it good and red with a propane torch. that will clean carbon and crap off of it.
exhaust leaks are bad before the o2 sensor.
you get that all fixed up and you may find a little more power as well.
oh and seafoam after that is all done.

and make sure you actually gap your spark plugs. so many people assume they come pregapped and ready to go. i have found them to be off be quite a bit on many occasions. just a thought.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Cool thanks guys for the input so far i'm getting most peeps leaning toward my lil exhaust leaks plus o2 sensor. Theres only been 2 owners of the truck me dad had it since it was new from the dealer and then passed to me. The header and o2 sensor were done about 10 years ago he thinks so its been a while. The gasket and new sensor might be a great idea. Sea foam i dunno if i wanna mess with that. The spark plugs it has are some bosch platinum fusions 4 prongs. I dunno if its bad for my truck or not but it runs a fires great. It has everything new that it can have in a tune-up. So yea..Thanks guys i might reaplace some stuff soon anymore input is cool and appeciated.

Quick Reply: 22re gas mileage bad...