86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re and front diff oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re and front diff oil leak.

I got my 90 4runner wet on the weekend then after I cleaning it all up I noticed two fairly large oil leaks coming from it. 1) front diff right side gear shaft oil seal. 2) engine oil that I cant seem to pin point.

With the front diff, would it be worth it to replace both left and right oil seals at the same time, just for piece of mind and is this something I need to pull the diff for?

My 22re has leaked a very small amount of oil in the past. It really doesnt seem to be coming from the oil pan, but if I pull the diff, Ill likely redo the oilpan gasket just because at that point it will be easy. The oil seems to be dripping down the right side of my engine compartment, I feel this is a result of it being splattered by on of the belts. Im just looking for some suggestions as to where it might be originating (oil pump... crankshaft oil seal...??). I plan on washing the engine to see if I can find the origin this afternoon.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM

If it is splattering like you say its gonna be super hard to find. Id degrease the motor really well and get it clean then try to check it every day and pinpoint the leak that way.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
If you are pulling the diff I'd replace everything you shouldn't reuse by the FSM.

Oil pan use FIPG Toyota Black.

Oil leaks are easy to find on clean engines.

:wabbit2:
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM

Yeah, I think cleaning the engine is going to be my biggest help! As for the FIPG Toyota black, Ive got something a little different. I know I have some RTV sensor safe silicone blue. Which the compatibility chart says works for oil pans. Would that be a good substitute?

Compatibility chart:
http://www.permatex.com/documents/Ga...erSelector.pdf
Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I would use the Toyota stuff if possible. But the most important thing is making sure you let it fully dry before starting it up and possibly running rtv/gasket maker in to an oiling hole. If that happens and it dries there well bad thing are very possible. very bad things.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 PM

Yes definitely! I will make sure it dries before starting up the truck.

I cleaned up the engine with degreaser and I still wasnt able to pin point any noticeable engine oil leak... I have a feeling the oil leak is only present when the engine is running. The drip spots I noticed on the driveway I think were from the oil being splattered on the right side of the engine compartment. Ill recheck tomorrow, but I think the oil leak is originating at the lowest pulley in the engine (picture below) and the pulley is spraying the oil all over the right side of the engine compartment. Any thoughts what gasket/seal may be the source?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:40 PM

Went back under the truck today and managed to find the engine oil leak. Looks to be coming from two places behind the crankshaft pulley. Which after a little research I would assume is the front crankshaft oil seal and the water pump o-ring.

My next question is whether or not its necessary to pull the radiator to get to these or do you think its possible to do it without?

Just to reiterate, I was wondering whether I should replace both side gear shaft oil seals on the front diff when I pull it, even though only one is having an issue?