Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re engine rebuild????

Old 12-01-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re engine rebuild????

I have an '89 4runner 4 cylinder. Nothing fancy, just stock parts 95% original. It's old and has 240 miles on it. I am having some power issues and it is stuttering when accelerating. I had it looked at and had the throttle body and air flow sensor cleaned out. I had another opinion that the TPS might be bad, but the readings were fine from it. The current theory is that the ignition chain is loose and needs replacement. My second opinion (TPS is bad) thought that the chain should be fine.

I'm not a mechanic, I'm trying to learn what I can. I was told that if I replace the chain I might as well do an engine rebuild for $3500. I understand that the engine is old and I'm fine with doing an engine rebuild when it's needed.

Anyone have similar issues with their 22re engine? Any thoughts on what to look at?

Thanks for any input
Old 12-01-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by njbradjr
I have an '89 4runner 4 cylinder. Nothing fancy, just stock parts 95% original. It's old and has 240 miles on it. I am having some power issues and it is stuttering when accelerating. I had it looked at and had the throttle body and air flow sensor cleaned out. I had another opinion that the TPS might be bad, but the readings were fine from it. The current theory is that the ignition chain is loose and needs replacement. My second opinion (TPS is bad) thought that the chain should be fine.

I'm not a mechanic, I'm trying to learn what I can. I was told that if I replace the chain I might as well do an engine rebuild for $3500. I understand that the engine is old and I'm fine with doing an engine rebuild when it's needed.

Anyone have similar issues with their 22re engine? Any thoughts on what to look at?

Thanks for any input
$3500!? You looking at a Keith Black high compression race engine for that much. The timing chain isnt that difficult and relatively cheap, less than $200 and that would include a new timing cover, you prob dont need one, just saying. Make sure you buy the upgraded timing set with a steel backed timing guide. With that many miles its probably due anyways. Do a compression check on the cyliders, and a draw down test to check that the valves are sealing. If that checks out I would do a timing chain and call it good. If you are wanting a new motor you can find quality rebuilds for under $2000. Heres a pick of a worn timing cover. When the guide brakes its still able to run most the time without skipping a tooth. You should be able to hear a slapping sound when you rev the motor, this is the chain slapping the side of the case. If it goes on long enough it can wear through and expose a cooling passage and you'll get coolant in your oil. Not good.
Wear grooves on driver side timing case. I would poke them firmly with a screw driver to see if it would poke through or indent. A new timing guide will protect the grooved area but if its paper thin i wouldnt want to reuse it.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input.
The $3500 is for a rebuild of the current engine, taking parts to a machinist, new hoses, head gasket,.cleaning it all out. I'd rather do that than buy a rebuilt engine from someone. Is this the same thing that you are talking about for $2000. I'm not against rebuilding the engine...it is almost 30 years old.

I'm not hearing anything that sounds like the chain is hitting the case. .I'm going to take it to someone else for another opinion
Old 12-02-2016, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by njbradjr
I'm not hearing anything that sounds like the chain is hitting the case. .I'm going to take it to someone else for another opinion
My busted guides never made "noise".

I discovered it when I did an oil change.
I have an OBERG metal screen filter. And I was finding alum bits in the filter.

At about 250K if I recall.

I splurged and got the "dual row" retro fit kit.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:38 PM

Ok. Yeah under $2000 is for a rebuilt longblock. If your talking about doing it yourself, having a local machine shop machine everything, hot tanking, etc. It may cost you a bit more. $3500 still sounds a bit steep but i guess it depends on where in the US you live.

Search this Thread