86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re engine complete gasket set kit issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22re engine complete gasket set kit issues

I opened the new gasket set kit and there is no identification or map of the various gaskets that goes into the engine and elsewhere. When I opened the complete engine gasket set, I was expecting a list of the items along with their specific description and location of the items to go to.I do not see a list of description and/or identification of these items. Is there a list and description and/or map of each item of the completed engine set kit so I know exactly where these items goes to? I need to know where and what these items identification prior to putting them on the engine. Some items I can identified, others are not. I am enclosing 2 attachments below of the various gaskets with numbers on them and the other attachment just showed the complete engine gasket set as an example. In addition, I also found the names of these gaskets somewhere to help me identify them and where they go to:
1 Cylinder Head Gasket
1 Valve Cover Gasket
4 Grommets
8 Valve Stem Seals
2 Semicircular Plugs
1 Intake Manifold Gasket
1 Exhaust Manifold Gasket
1 Lower Intake Gasket
3 Exhaust Pipe Gaskets
4 Fuel Injector O-rings
2 Oil Seals
20 Gaskets
2 Timing Gaskets
1 Water Pump Gasket
1 Oil Pump Rubber Ring
3 O-rings
1 Metal O-ring
1 Oil Pan Gasket

It seems to me at this point the only way to make sure that all gaskets are covered or all of them in place is by using the Service manual with its various descriptions and maps to help me out. Some gaskets have more than one type due to separate items I bought and already included some gaskets like the oil pump, water pump, etc. Any comments on this issue is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 22re engine complete gasket set kit issues-complete-engine-gasket-set-kit.jpg   22re engine complete gasket set kit issues-htb1u4yzkpxxxxx9xfxxq6xxfxxxj.jpg  
Old 07-10-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have yet to ever see a list of gaskets

Unless it is on the outside of the box.

They figure you know what your looking at .
Old 07-11-2017, 08:20 AM

Are you asking if you have all the gaskets, or if someone can tell you where the gaskets go?
Old 07-11-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
As your taking your engine apart, just take note of what each part's gasket surface looks like. That'll get you pretty far. At this point, I'd hope you've looked through a decent amount of rebuild threads.

If you want more help, you can find an online copy of the fsm and you'll benefit from reading through the rebuild part of the engine mechanical section.

If there's still a handful of gaskets you really can't pin down, label them in a photo and one of us can let you know where they go. As that gasket set fits a range of years some gaskets will only fit a carbed 22r or pre-'84 engine.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup - you WILL have gaskets left over because of EFI vs Carb etc....

Just go slow and write down / take photos of the gaskets when you take it apart

Also, on the paper ones, I like to "paint" em with Permatex-300 - a brush on goop.
It keeps the paper pliable and also "tacks" them into place when re assembling
Old 07-12-2017, 06:54 PM

buy a Toyota head gasket