Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE Crankshaft Bolt removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:10 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
yes the radiator is out.

the impact gun I found on line is 7 3/4'' deep and i have about 7'' of clearance, so that's why i said about one that was at a right-angle, like an angle grinder. i just don't find one with the torque required or foot pounds indicated.....so i'm fairly sure it's just going to be a beefier breaker bar and me.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
You'll get it with a good 1/2 bar.

Years back I had a but with lug bolts. I had a 6' pipe on a Craftsman 1/2 breaker and was jumping on the bar to break them loose. So I don't think you'll be twisting a half decent one off.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
BUGS1961

actually when I searched, your's was the only helpful posting I found. But then I thought that maybe what I had was the same....might be wrong though.

See picture below.....it's the "Y" shape that looks similar to your's.

[IMG][/IMG]

LUMPY.....yeah, I'm gonna get a 1/2 drive.....i was out there, looks like it's about 8'' from pulley to crosspiece under a/c radiator thingy behind my grille....so not much room for a run-of-the-mill air gun. I know OLHARLEY was the one that said it needs to be "shocked" of, same as with an impact wrench or a good beating.
The tool you have will work great for cam pulleys but not for the crank. You need to be able to bolt the tool to the crank pulley to secure the crank pulley from turning. The tool I make was inexpensive and simple to make and works great. It will prevent the crank from turning to both loosen and retorque the crank pulley bolt.

The couple of minutes it takes to bolt the tool on saves 10 times as much time and hassle fighting with any other method of securing the crank, especially for retorquing the bolt.

Bugs
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Again, read what Abecedarian posted (minus the part about the head, since its already off)

If the starter is still installed, just do the bump the starter trick. It will work just fine. Take all that balancer ruining nonsense off of there, and do what Abe says!

And do yourself a favor and get a good quality 1/2" breaker bar. Something that is NOT made in Taiwan.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Again, read what Abecedarian posted (minus the part about the head, since its already off)

If the starter is still installed, just do the bump the starter trick. It will work just fine. Take all that balancer ruining nonsense off of there, and do what Abe says!

And do yourself a favor and get a good quality 1/2" breaker bar. Something that is NOT made in Taiwan.
Like I said, I am going to get me a good breaker bar. I have the pulley VERY much held steady so I don't think that it's moving is an issue with me.

My additional comment/ question would be, what would be done if the engine was OUT of the truck and the starter not able to be enaged.......I read a thread that said about "jolting" it loose with an impact gun.....but HOLY CRAP! How would you steady it enough to either not break your wrists or not flip the engine over stand and all? But that's not my situation but that would be a curious one to hear an answer to.

Yep....bigger breaker bar and a good breakfast.......I'm gonna set a date for next week to do this since I have a whole line of days coming up to work and have to wait for payday.

I did have a question that remains unanswered .....what KIND of impact gun fits in such a small area....what do the Techs at the garages do? The starter trick?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM

They have mystical powers of over charging for services rendered!!!

I'm not real sure how they do this...

Last edited by Lumpy; 10-08-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have 2 ways that might work. first of all, i completely agree with the starter trick that everyone else mentioned. i was soooooo skeptical of doing it, but it does work. i saw that you said your chain and etc. was off, but it doesn't matter. all you need is the starter to turn the flywheel and the crankshaft will turn (but you might have to plug some electrical stuff in first). it might make a mess cuz you have so much stuff, but the starter trick absolutely works. problem is, if you have the timing chain off, you're gonna have to be careful getting everything back in TDC to make sure you don't destroy your head cuz of bad timing.

another trick is one i used to get a stuck lug nut loose once. it might work for the crank bolt too. put on the breaker bar/ratchet with the bar off to the right, put a jack underneath the bar. lift the jack. the bar goes up with the jack, forcing the bolt counter-clockwise with a lot more force than your bicep could give. you're gonna have to have someone stoping on the brakes for this. i can take a picture of you don't follow what i'm saying.

Last edited by ayoung101; 10-08-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ayoung101

another trick is one i used to get a stuck lug nut loose once. it might work for the crank bolt too. put on the breaker bar/ratchet with the bar off to the right, put a jack underneath the bar. lift the jack. the bar goes up with the jack, forcing the bolt counter-clockwise with a lot more force than your bicep could give. you're gonna have to have someone stoping on the brakes for this. i can take a picture of you don't follow what i'm saying.

OOOOOHHHHH, I like that one, that may be a winner ...Use the weight of the truck. Even though I am PERFECTLY CAPABLE of lifting the truck with one hand, I may just sit this one out and let the weight of the truck do something for ME.

Cool, I like that.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 AM

While it's lifting and the pressure is on it tap, tap, tap, on the back of the bar. The bit of shock will help.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 AM

LUMPY......1st of all, I want your job

2nd, yeah, with all my Maguiver (or however you spell it) tricks I've come up with, I'm surprised I didn't try that one yet. Beats the hell out of me taking another wrench to the face......no it didn't hit me, close, but the ninja reflexes kicked in.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 AM

I'm in IT so I'm constantly on the net "researching"...

Ya, not fun when they slip or snap. I've been caught in the cheek, forearm, ribs from things slipping. Not fun at all...

Just watch the jack does not slip...could be more painful than you think. Don't want to hear about you visiting your place of work on an off day.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Job security when I provide some of the work.

I will wear a cup, don't worry coach.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
I'm in IT so I'm constantly on the net "researching"...

Ya, not fun when they slip or snap. I've been caught in the cheek, forearm, ribs from things slipping. Not fun at all...

Just watch the jack does not slip...could be more painful than you think. Don't want to hear about you visiting your place of work on an off day.
i was removing a trans bolt on my buddies grand prix putting all my might into breaking the bolt loose, and then suddenly my hand slammed into the frame hard. i broke my ring finger. with my ring still on my finger. so of course i had to move my newly broken finger all around to get my ring off before it swelled up too far. that one was fun. after i got some ice on it and drank one of my buddies beers, i told him to scoot underneath the car and see if the bolt came loose or if i just slipped off. luckily, SUCCESS! 1 broken finger, but 1 loose trans bolt!

as for the jack trick, it actually worked really easily for me, i never at all felt worried about it slipping off. you could see my ratchet flex ever so slightly (thank god for lifetime warranty craftsman ratchets!) as i barely lifted up the jack, and then as soon as i stopped lifting it immediately retook it's form, loosening the bolt. let me know if it works.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Ummmmm, as a member of the medical field, I find this story quite familiar. To the extent that you say you had beer AFTER the injury becomes a moot point when you come to the ER. Over 15 years of ER work, I've found that BEER + TOOLS = ER Visit......and to say you had beer AFTER the injury becomes one of those "yeah,sure ya did" moments for us.

No ,really, "I" believe you.

Just kidding...........I've cut many rings off squished and broken fingers, doesn't hurt me a bit but I sure as hell wouldn't want it to happen to me. Haven't worn my wedding ring in years.....my wife knows and is OK with it, but with the amount of hand washing I have to do, it gets nasty under it and taking it off every 3 minutes makes for a good chance of it getting lost.

I've also seen people lose fingers because of the wedding ring, or any ring getting caught on something and pulling the finger right off (seen that one 4 times in 15 years). My wife is a nurse too so it's the same story for her,which I am glad for her not wearing it. It hurts when she punches me in the face (joking)
Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM

of, for sure we had beer while doing it. i have to have beer while doing a heavy project. but only like 2 total. i've NEVER gotten drunk while working with tools. that reminds me of a third way to get a bolt loose. beer strength. me and a buddy couldn't get a brake caliper bolt loose. we decided to take a break and get some beer strength. afterwards, we manned up and yanked harder and got that sucker loose. hahaha
Old 10-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Beer strength

Beer goggles.

Each has the potential for serious injury.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 PM

I agree...but you don't feel it right away!

I usually stay to 1 or 2 depending how long I'm out there. If I have too many I forget where I put stuff down. I have a hard enough time remembering where everything goes as is.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:48 PM

On the vehicles that is!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Too late.

No re-do's.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
My additional comment/ question would be, what would be done if the engine was OUT of the truck and the starter not able to be enaged.......I read a thread that said about "jolting" it loose with an impact gun.....but HOLY CRAP! How would you steady it enough to either not break your wrists or not flip the engine over stand and all? But that's not my situation but that would be a curious one to hear an answer to.
this one's easy; you stabilize it from behind at the flywheel I've done this two ways in the past:
First Method: not the best/smartest method, but I've had an assistant hold a long ratchet across two of the pins on the the flywheel, sort of over/under, while I have at the crank bolt on the front. I've only ever done this with the engine somewhat close to the ground. usually the first step after pulling the engine while it's still on the hoist. I wouldn't trust an engine stand on this maneuver. even just the thought of holding an engine up horizontally with four bolts without them shearing or tearing right off still blows my mind, but even with my cheap 3-point engine stand, I've not suffered any accidents. still freaks me out though.

Second Method: I bought one of those cheap flywheel turner/holding tools. I got mine at Harbor Freight, but can't seem to find them on their site anymore. Anyway, this is the same one I have, and it's available at Arizona Tools, which I guess is a Harbor Freightish shop. only 9 bucks.

Great for the flywheel bolts, too, which is what it's designed for, really. basically just gives you two jamming points for the flywheel teef.

An impact gun's not gonna flip the motor over on a stand I got a great visual there, though and laughed out loud.
The cool thing about using an impact gun is that it's in such short, quick, high torque bursts, that the component doesn't really see much of any rotation at all. I don't understand the physics behind it, really, all I know is that when I go to pull wheel lugs or something, it doesn't spin my wheel like it does if I get on it with a long ratchet.

Last edited by yodta; 10-09-2009 at 05:12 AM.

Quick Reply: 22RE Crankshaft Bolt removal