86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re cam/crank timing off... i think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re cam/crank timing off... i think?

Hey guys i will try to cut this short while giving the most details. Did a full engnbuildr rebuild with standard everything except 268 torqr cam and longtube header. its a 5spd, 4x4, 22re, with 4:10's and 31x10.50. now this is my problem. it idles kind of rough and to get it drive decent you have to advance the timing so far that it idles at 2000rpm. its only getting 15mpg and i am at about 700 miles on my rebuild. i drive about 40 miles a day and 36 of them are on the interstate at 55-60 miles an hour. that is in fourth gear because in 5th gear it wont hold speed. (I drove it to 75 in fourth and when i put it in fith it wouldnt hold 75 on level ground it slowly slowed back down too 55 on fourth it takes forever to get up to speed. tonight i tried to give it a little hell for the first time since my complete rebuild. untill tonight i havent had it past about 4200rpm and i floored it in first coming off the off ramp. it accelerated like normal untill about 5000 rpm and fell on its face would not accelerate anymore at all....)

I go to a vocational school and we rebuilt the engine. (My teacher has built many many engines for car's... we call him gm jesus lol) but we put it all together and found out the head gasket was leaking so i took it apart had the head milled down true and put it all back together and it doesnt leak coolant now..) the reason i am mentioning this is because when we pulled the gear for the cam off we wired the chain tightly on the gear as to make sure it didnt slip a tooth but we didnt do anything for the crank gear... we just set the gear down so as to where it set between the two timing chain slides. do you think this is a possibilty that it has moved a tooth in eather direction. i bought this to get good fuel mileage and i thought it would pull 5th gear on the interstate to do so but it wont hold speed in fith so fourth it is. and i am controling my foot in fourth as to try to save fuel. thanks guys..

Sorry for the long post
Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 AM

22re cam

i am in the process of changing my head gasket, and was going to zip tie the chain and sproket together. i hope this won't happen to me. is there a better way.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:16 AM

Cool Maybe this will help?

Originally Posted by levi_plummer
Hey guys i will try to cut this short while giving the most details. Did a full engnbuildr rebuild with standard everything except 268 torqr cam and longtube header. its a 5spd, 4x4, 22re, with 4:10's and 31x10.50. now this is my problem. it idles kind of rough and to get it drive decent you have to advance the timing so far that it idles at 2000rpm. its only getting 15mpg and i am at about 700 miles on my rebuild. i drive about 40 miles a day and 36 of them are on the interstate at 55-60 miles an hour. that is in fourth gear because in 5th gear it wont hold speed. (I drove it to 75 in fourth and when i put it in fith it wouldnt hold 75 on level ground it slowly slowed back down too 55 on fourth it takes forever to get up to speed. tonight i tried to give it a little hell for the first time since my complete rebuild. untill tonight i havent had it past about 4200rpm and i floored it in first coming off the off ramp. it accelerated like normal untill about 5000 rpm and fell on its face would not accelerate anymore at all....)

I go to a vocational school and we rebuilt the engine. (My teacher has built many many engines for car's... we call him gm jesus lol) but we put it all together and found out the head gasket was leaking so i took it apart had the head milled down true and put it all back together and it doesnt leak coolant now..) the reason i am mentioning this is because when we pulled the gear for the cam off we wired the chain tightly on the gear as to make sure it didnt slip a tooth but we didnt do anything for the crank gear... we just set the gear down so as to where it set between the two timing chain slides. do you think this is a possibilty that it has moved a tooth in eather direction. i bought this to get good fuel mileage and i thought it would pull 5th gear on the interstate to do so but it wont hold speed in fith so fourth it is. and i am controling my foot in fourth as to try to save fuel. thanks guys..

Sorry for the long post
Did u set ur timing belt loose right tight left? I have heard of this prob b4. Hope it helps?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Defiantly sounds like the valve timing is off to me. Put it at TDC and see if the distributor rotor is pointing at #1. Start checking from there but I bet you are going to end up redoing the timing chain
Old 11-14-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Defiantly sounds like the valve timing is off to me. Put it at TDC and see if the distributor rotor is pointing at #1. Start checking from there but I bet you are going to end up redoing the timing chain

Do this first... You need to make sure you havent jumped a tooth. No check engine lights? I had a similiar problem but after a week of power loss at high RPM it finally set a light and it ended up being an O2 sensor was damaged and dumping fuel causing poor mileage and power loss.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 PM

Well i may need a new oxygen sensor i have three different ones and none of them let the light go out. but i had the wires chewwed through buy a moust or something then i redid the wires and sealed them up. i am trying to do this on the cheap as money is tight right now. and i will deffinatly try checking the timing then on monday. i just hope i get this running good before winter comes along. can an 02 sensor make that large of a difference?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Found some codes!

Hey guys and gals, i just checked the codes they are code 21 and code 25 any input would be appreciated thanks!