Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE Blown Motor Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Blown Motor Question

Hi all. Ill start with a bit of backstory. I have 94 4WD pickup with a 22RE. I've had it for about 20,000 miles. I knew when I bought it that it has one bad cylinder (scored cylinder walls, low-ish compression). It's always burned oil because of it. I've been planning on replacing the motor for a while, and tonight I might have reached the point where I have to. I went to start it, it ran for a few seconds, started sounding super clunky knocky. I turned it off, and tried to start it again a minute later. Sounded knocky, and wouldn't start. Compression gauge showed zero on the 2 cylinders I tested (not positive that the gauge still works properly). I pulled the valve cover and, all of the intake valves have a ton of lash (1/8 of an inch-ish). Is it in any way possible that I bent all 4 of my intake valves and now theyre stuck? How in the.. ? The exhaust valves all seem to still be within spec. Makes no sense to me. Anyone have some insight? Probably the right time to replace the motor anyhow, but I can't understand what might have happened... Thanks!!!
Old 11-10-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You have the valve cover off look at your timing chain

I will venture that jumped or maybe broke .
Old 11-10-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chain still spins... seems tight. I haven't verified that timing hasn't jumped, but why would my lash be so bad on all intake valves? Happened behind the bar 1100 at night, so I'll check timing tomorrow. Skipping one or 2 teeth doesn't explain such huge lash.... Seems like they must be stuck and/or bent, no?
Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
sounds like it's time to stop guessing and pull the motor and take a looksee. I wouldn't be driving it with zero compression in two cylinders.