86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22r idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r idle issues

I have a 86 toyota pickup with 2xxxxx miles on the original 22r engine. She's been an absolute joy to own and drive, never giving me any issues until two mornings ago. I walked out the front door, sat in the drivers seat, tried turning the engine over, it kept cranking and cranking and cranking but didn't turn over. It seemed to be cranking weak, so I called off work and waited for my roommate to get off work to try jumping it. When my roommate finally got off work, we went outside to jump the truck, and lo and behold, the truck turned over. I ended up going to the parts store and buying a new battery. Problem solved (or so I thought). Woke up the next morning to go to work, she turned over on the first crank just like she always had and ran just fine the whole way there. Now comes the mystery. On my way home from work, I went and pushed the clutch in, put the truck into neutral as I coasted to a stop sign, right after I threw it in neutral, she starts chugging and died. For the rest of the drive home, I had to feather the throttle when idling to keep the engine from dying, but while I was driving she purred like the kitten she is. I woke up this morning to go get some breakfast, turned her over on the first crank, but she was idling pretty high (1500-2000 RPM compared to a steady 800-900 before). She did this at every stop light/sign (idling high) until she got warm and started to die whenever I went to idle.

So now the million dollar question is: what is wrong with my truck? I haven't done anything to the truck other than replace the battery like I said. I did however open up the air filter to see if my carb flutters were opening the morning it wouldn't start. I was also a little to spirited in my driving on my way home from work when the idle issue started to manifest.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Sounds like electric problems. Inspect the two heater elements and associated wiring. Choke opener, and Carburetor manifold heater(CMH). Specs are in the manuals.