Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 3VZE Acting Up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, Got a few keys on there but nothing too heavy. Who knows though. I'm ready to try anything. thanks.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:55 PM

Ok well this thread has been dead for awhile but the issue has slowly gotten worse. It's graduated to shutting down while I'm on the highway. Drove it up North for Xmas and it happened 8 times on the way.

Well today I pulled the "Circuit Opening Relay" and I found some corrosion on the "STA" terminal. This seems like a likely cause to me as a bad connection there would shut down the whole MFI system. Got my fingers crossed. I'll post up in a few days or a week if it doesn't come back.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdharper
The VAFM wears out... exactly like a record player will wear out.

If that is the problem, it will get bad enough that you will be lucky to get across the street without the truck cutting out, and bucking on you.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 PM

Not sure I understand your post "rdharper". Are you trying to tell me it may still be the VAFM? I replaced it awhile ago with another one from a truck that had no issues. Also the truck just shuts down instantly. No bucking, sputtering etc. More like someone just turned off a light switch.

I have a good feeling about this COR, but if it comes back I guess I'll try the VAFM again? Getting pretty frustrated. Only reason it hasn't gone to the shop yet is because I need it for work.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry for questioning your replacement check with the other VAFM. Its just that the time-constant of slowly getting worse, and the symptoms... sudden shutdown... that is what happens with the AFM, as I've said.

So can I assume the when you tried the other VAFM, you were able to start the truck and run it... and eventually got exactly the same symptom?

If so... and that other VAFM worked with no problems in the other truck... then I am steering you in the wrong direction.

One thing that convinced me to tear off the top of the VAFM and inspect the phenolic and swing arm, was playing with an ohmeter and manually moving the air gate. You could see the discontinuity as a flick on the ohmeter.

Anyway.. keep us posted.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:01 PM

Sorry for questioning your replacement check with the other VAFM
Don't be! I just wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at.

I am assuming that the VAFM that I replaced it with is good. I was told that the truck it came out of had no running issues. Yes I was able to start it. In fact the truck always starts again right away. When I replaced the VAFM the problem was still there.

I have driven the truck a few hours today and so far it's running well. Hasn't shut down yet. Time will tell. I will definitely post if this solved the problem or not.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:12 PM

Ok well it's been a week today and so far no recurrence. I think it was the "Circuit Opening Relay". Of course I just jinxed myself didn't I?

Thanks everyone for the insight and suggestions.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
fingers crossed on this bastard eh
Old 01-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Everytime I start it up I expect it to start doing it's usual dying routine. I'm like "Pavlov's Dog" now.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

hehehe, your truck has quite the personality
Old 01-03-2008, 03:32 PM

Well so much for that. It did it again this morning.

Got a coolant temp. sensor on order.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

****! Here's hoping this is it *knocks on wood*
Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 PM

hows your fuel pump? did you check that? wait a sec.... the whole engine shuts down, correct? do the idiot lights come on, or do those die as well?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 PM

Fuel pressure was checked at Toyota and everything checks out fine. Engine jut dies, I don't lose electrical.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 PM

id get a second opinion. ill bet you anything its a fuel delivery problem.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:30 PM

I know you checked harnesses already, but my 90 runner has an issue with the wires going into the distributer. Sometimes it will crank but will not hint at starting. It just spins. If I wiggle those wires, it starts. Once it actually died at a stoplight. Would not start. I wiggled those wires and it started up. Just something to look at. It almost sounds like wireing/connection issues. You work on it, jostle wires and connectors and the work ok for a bit, then corrosion, loosness sets in and the bugs are back untill you jostle them again.

Why was one plug so fouled and wet? If That cylinder is dead, or the injector is spitting too much fuel, the cylinder will exhaust rich and could fool the o2 sensor causing it to think the system is all rich. It could then lean the mixture untill its satisfied but could render the other 5 cylinders that were ok to be more lean now. That could increase the posibility of pinging and may lead to other symptoms too.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM

id get a second opinion. ill bet you anything its a fuel delivery problem.
There's no doubt in my mind that it is a fuel delivery problem. There are a lot of things that determine/affect fuel delivery besides the fuel pump. The coolant temp. sensor for instance.

Why was one plug so fouled and wet? If That cylinder is dead, or the injector is spitting too much fuel, the cylinder will exhaust rich and could fool the o2 sensor causing it to think the system is all rich. It could then lean the mixture untill its satisfied but could render the other 5 cylinders that were ok to be more lean now. That could increase the posibility of pinging and may lead to other symptoms too.
I think the problem is likely oil leaking past the valves fouling that plug but I like your theory. The cylinder isn't dead but it could be a bad injector. If this Coolant temp. sensor doesn't do the trick I'm going to look into that. How though. I guess the only way is to pull the injector and get it tested?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 PM

looking for answer also

I have 240,000 miles on my 3.0 4 x 4, having error 25 all of a sudden, had recently replaced egr, not sure what problem can be.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 PM

I have 240,000 miles on my 3.0 4 x 4, having error 25 all of a sudden, had recently replaced egr, not sure what problem can be.
Not trying to be a dick, but would you mind starting another thread for your problem. Got enough of my own without cluttering this post up too much. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Not the Coolant temp. Sensor. Rechecked a bunch of grounds tonight. Realized I missed some the first time. Checked the EFI Main Relay ground and got a super high resistance value. Just not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Going to confirm it with a mechanic tomorrow. Could be the problem though I think. Maybe the wire is toast.

Quick Reply: 1995 3VZE Acting Up.