Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1991Toyota pickup bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991Toyota pickup bottom end

Alright, so I bought my first toyota awhile ago for my first rig and the clutch was almost out on it along with the head gasket being blown as well. It has a 3.0 v6 (notorious problem I know) with 200k miles and I've been driving it anyways for about 3 to 4 months until now. The clutch finally went all of the way out and is no longer drivable. I took it into the shop, pulled the engine, and ripped the top end apart. Turns out I was only running on about 3 cylinders but it was still doing pretty good! I bought all the parts to fix it;

Gasket Kit, clutch kit, flywheel resurfaced, brand new timing assembly, water pump, got the heads resurfaced, exhaust valves replaced, thermostat, spark plugs, etc etc...

Got it going back together (looks great! Shiney and looks brand new!) and the heads back on and currently I'm waiting on new pucks since the current ones are way off measurement from getting the valves done, and I'm starting to wonder, what about my bottom end? My top end is all almost brand new now and should be perfect, but what about the bottom end on the 3.0 v6? Do they usually have problems or are they reliably strong? Should I worry? When I last drove it there was no noise coming from it and it ran perfect minus the gasket leak and clutch. As long as I keep oil in her and don't red line her and rally it, should I be fine?

I'm sure in the distant distant future I may do a 3.4L v6 swap (that's a different story) but I just don't want my bottom end to go after making my top end so renewed. Just don't have the funds to do the bottom end is all.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have the engine pulled already, i think it would be silly to not go through the bottom end. You'll hear from a lot of people that when they just rebuilt their top end at high mileage, the worn bottom end couldn't take the renewed compression and started burning oil, running rough, etc. That said, the 3.0 isn't known for a lot of bottom end problems. Also, don't beleive everything you hear about that motor, I've owned both the v6 and 4 cylinder and think the v6 is a MUCH better engine.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUi TE=Inferno451;52188496]If you have the engine pulled already, i think it would be silly to not go through the bottom end. You'll hear from a lot of people that when they just rebuilt their top end at high mileage, the worn bottom end couldn't take the renewed compression and started burning oil, running rough, etc. That said, the 3.0 isn't known for a lot of bottom end problems. Also, don't beleive everything you hear about that motor, I've owned both the v6 and 4 cylinder and think the v6 is a MUCH better engine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the only problem I have is that I don't have the time or money to go through the bottom end, and besides that I already have the top end all together... I just wanna know if I should expect something bad