Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1989 Weatherstrip Help

Old 09-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Weatherstrip Help

Hi All,

I'm new here and I have a question about the 1989 driver and passenger window weather strip. I'm trying to locate some online for purchase but not sure which is the right one to use. I need it for the top of the window. Please help or share a link!

Thanks,
Old 09-09-2018, 02:04 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
How to find parts, a guide to online assembly drawings

Need more details, there are variation in door configuration. Post more data or we can figure it out from the model and trim codes, usually.

Look at your VIN, the bit that's relevant starts at the fourth digit, it's visible in atleast three places and always located in the lower corner of the windscreen visible from the outside in the USA.
​​​​​​
JT3RN67
So mine is an RN67

The next part is on the build tag. Mine is located under the hood on the fire wall.
Mine is PZGA, or PGZA yeah that last one looks right..

Then you look thru one of the online assembly drawing sites (I hate to advertise but I'll give Toyotamarket.ru for example this time 'cause it's been a good day, and I've already downloaded all these images to my PC incase it goes away), or a dealership parts site.

Navigate to the appropriate section, in this case Body.

Now find the related subsection, in this case Front door panel and glass.

Look at the parts list table, or the drawing for something that seems.to fit the description.

We're looking for weatherstrip but it might fall under a less obvious title, in this case there are several "weather strip" options.

The suite were using today will highlight part numbers in the drawing and the list when selected, it also gives the full ten digit part code at the top.

We have four choices, a left hand, a right hand, an inner, and an outer. But which is it?

We select the first one and the drawing is kind of vague, selecting the second on similarly points to the same spot. Selecting the next two clearly indicate it's the lower weather strip, one for inside one for outside with no left or right difference meaning you put the same part on the left or right door.

By process of elimination it's going to be one of the first two either for the left or right door. We know it's going to be a LH/RH part by what's in the vehicle having formed shapes and differing thickness for inside and outside surfaces..

So now you know the base part number, 67861/67862. This base part number tells us it's a weather strip for the front door. These first five digits are used on various vehicles from celicas to trucks.

The next five digits tell specifically the vehicle type (celica, truck, 4runner ect), the trim level (base, dlx, sr5 ect), and build configuration (red, blue, grey, manual vs auto ect).

There is typically a pattern to these last five digits also, an example being most parts specific to my 4runner are 35020. There is of course some variation if a part is replaced by a newer version they increment the number, you'll find examples like 35020 replaced by 35120.

If you are looking for the felt strips along the top and sides of the window channel, and not the rubber seal that goes around the whole door. I'm not seeing that either.

​​​​​​​What you want to-do in that case is talk to the parts guy at the local dealership, if he can not locate them either, ask him order in the inner and outer parts and see if they are included. It's likely not a part they ever had spares for, but something the local glass guy can source by the bulk roll and has on hand.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the detailed response. This definitely helps me find what I am looking for!