Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1989 4runner Tranny Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 4runner Tranny Issue

I recently changed my clutch, pressure plate, rear main seal, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch master and slave cylinders, and clutch collars. While I had the tranny down I noticed I had a pool of gear oil pooled up in the bellhousing. I also noticed that there was oil leaking out of my clutch fork, but it wasn't too bad. However, recently I noticed a larger leak coming from the clutch fork boot. At the same time I decided to fill up my fluids and found out my tranny was missing over a quart of oil, guess I found out where all that oil went, heh. Along with the leak from the boot, my tranny now pops out of 4th gear. This along with a metal chatter sound in all gears but 4th makes me think that I need a tranny rebuild OR a new (to me) W56 tranny OR new input shaft bearing OR new shift fork and a new input shaft bearing. I've gathered up some videos as well as some threads about rebuilding a W56, but was wondering if instead of throwing money at it...if it made more sense to just replace the input shaft bearing and seal? Looking forward to hearing from you all, thanks

Last edited by Lift4Reach; 01-11-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Well, changing the input shaft seal is certainly do-able and is inexpensive, but if you've got other issues, such as popping out of gear and metal chatter, that might indicate some other problem. Here is a good thread on rebuilding a W56, https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...w-pics-301447/

Only thing I would say is it takes some special tools to do a rebuild, the pullers and bearing separator, and a press. If you can find a shop to do it reasonably, maybe you can save some money pulling the tranny yourself and taking it in. Not sure I would waste the effort to drop that tranny, change the input seal (input bearing is not exactly easy either in my opinion) and then put it back in the truck knowing that it pops out of gear and makes scary noises.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for additional thread, Cory. My thoughts exactly, I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it to replace the bearing and seal just to have something else fail xxx miles later. I do have the tools needed the only thing I don't have is the experience but I'm excited to tear into it! I'll keep this thread updated.