Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1989 22RE auto to manual swap HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey dude did you ever get this project finished?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hadmatt54
I just saw this thread today, so I'll try and answer what I can.
80's Toyotas had common wiring harnesses. By that I mean if your truck did not have air conditioning the wires for the air conditioning were still in the harness. My 89 4Runner was that way, but the 89 pick-up you are working on was the first year of a new model, You may be lucky and your donor truck may have the wiring necessary for this, but you may not, because later on in the 90's Toyota started installing application and accessory specific harnesses.
If you unfamiliar with wiring and want to be sure that the swap will be correct and work properly the first time you turn the key the easiest thing to do is to dismantle the donor vehicle dash, label each connector with a piece of masking tape and a sharpie, remove the dash harness, disassemble the dash of the other vehicle and install matching dash, engine harness and ECU from the donor vehicle into your friends truck. This will add about a day to your job, but when you are done It will be correct.
Someone mentioned above about the clutch pedal setup, but the biggest obstacle will be installing the clutch master cylinder (holes will need to be cut through the firewall in the correct location) and the bracket for the line feeding the clutch slave cylinder will need to be removed from the donor and welded to your friends truck in the proper location. This needs to be done before you install the new engine. As far as drive shaft lengths, if both trucks are the same wheelbase, the driveline from the donor should bolt into the other truck with no modifications. The hole in the transmission tunnel is different between the auto and manual, so you will have to use the donor trucK as a template and cut the auto one to fit for the manual.
I can't think of any thing else at the moment, but I'll watch to see if you have more questions.
My truck already had a manual trans swaped in it when I bought, but the reverse lights dont work. How do I wire them to work?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 PM

There is one wire in the bunch under the intake manifold. I ran a wire to positive after ohming the wires to find the right wire. Ohm and then pull the reverse lights till its open. Then it is your choice how you wire that wire to the trans so that you complete the loop.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so on the wire harness under the truck that the park neutral switch was at is a nice group of wires, one on them runs back to the reverse lights, if u look it up in a manual u can see what wire, then look on trans and there should be a plug that has 2 wires hanging off or nothing plugged into it, if u put it in reverse u should have continuity threw those wires. then run one power lead from the harness u found earlier to the switch and then back to the wire u located as the reverse wire, connect and then they should work.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My goodness this is old. I apologize for being a young idiot previously. Y'all were a big help. Just so you know, shortly after my last post here, my friend and I fired up the truck and took it down the road for the first time. The truck has been an every day driver for the past 3 years. The engine was rebuilt somewhere around 40k after our swap. The truck now has 61k miles since our swap. It's still on the road today.
The following users liked this post:
TheBoiKing (03-25-2021)