86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1988 4runner maf

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 4runner maf

ok guys so ive got my new ebay cai sitting in my closet waiting to be put on and i was wondering what else i could do to lean out the truck since ive heard the 3vze runs very rich. Upon researching i found that a supra maf will do the trick. well i dont fully understand what to do i know i need 1) the maf 2) wire it 3) install it but all the threads related to this are soooo bleh i need a condensed version. is it plug and go or do i need to tune it if so what do i tune ect. All help is appreciated guys!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
1) The AFM. Actually you can use the larger Denso AFM from many different engines. I believe a 2VZ-FE or a 3VZ-FE also have the larger one.

2) Wiring it. That's where it's either a bit tricky, or it isn't. If the pinouts are the same, it might plug and play. If they aren't, then you need to swap the boards out(precision soldering required).

3) Installing it. The reverse of the removal process. Nothing complicated.

4) Is it going to need tuned? Most likely. It's tuned for another engine.

5) What do you tune then? The tension of the spring holding the vane/flap closed. Tighter = leaner, looser = richer. And there's an idle mixture adjustment screw too. It's also been adjusted for another engine(and sealed at the factory). You'll probably want to fiddle with it to get the best idle performance(or just leave it as is, if it idles fine).

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-12-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM

hmm so its not the maf interesting. I read on one thread that the supra one has the same resistance and whatever else needs to be there so its drop and go but then it went on to so its not plug and play. maybe i misread but either way im lost! Does anyone have any pictures im more of a visual person. thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
No offense, but it sounds like an AFM swap is probably a bit more than you can handle. I'm just not seeing how you're capable of "getting it"(a little ADD are we?) So let me suggest another much easier option for you.

First, install your CAI kit. Then, run it like that for a few weeks and see what your spark plugs look like. If it appears to be running rich based on inspecting your plugs, then try adjusting the stock AFM to lean it out(NOT THE MAF, since it doesn't even have one).

Then, if you're still convinced you need the larger AFM, read this 3vz-e AFM is not too small - proven via math!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 PM

yea i was informed my acromyn (im not even going to attempt to spell that) was wrong my mistake. But yea i have a little but of ADD not too bad haha. And i might agree with you doing the swap could be a wee bit above me but i'm 16 (dont hold that against me i know my way around a car) so im very ambitious but idk if i want to do it to my DD yet.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MAF is "Mass Air Flow" sensor; typically operate by having a heated wire in the air stream and the ECU calculates air flow by how much current the wire needs to maintain a certain resistance.

AFM is "Air Flow Meter"; generally use a "door" in the air stream that moves an armature across a resistive trace on a circuit board, much like the volume control on a stereo, and the ECU uses the "resistance" to figure out how much air is entering the engine. The AFM also has an air temp sensor which is used as a sort of "corrective" factor to determine air.

And who told you the 3VZ runs rich? You have to careful leaning it out since that will raise combustion temps, increasing NOx emissions, and considering the 3VZ already has a reputation for not keeping head gaskets intact, mixtures leaner than stock may not be a good option.

Overall, there's nothing a simple AFM swap would help other than possibly a little better throttle response, but don't expect any more power from the engine. Before going through replacing the AFM, maybe look at the intake silencer removal modifications.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM

i read it on some thread here..i just searched supra afm or maf i dont remember and it was one of the only links besides build ups. If it will increase combustoin temps then i will not mess with it becausei dont want to replace another head gasket. i bought an ebay cai i just need time to install it. This might be a bit unrelated but ive already got you guys here so do you know if a knock sensor will affect my mpgs? ive got the ecu throwing that code so im wondering if thats why i get 13mpg...i also need a new o2 sensor soooo.. But the car runs fine with both these so.