Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 Toyota Custom Cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Toyota Custom Cab

1987 toyota Custom Cab

Well i usually hang out at the older toyota site, and until last night I had never heard of the custom cab. It takes a little getting used to. Not sure if I am there yet. Anything Toyota 4x4 turns my crank. It is a problem I need to seek help for. Until then this is the newest toy I have brought home. I was actually able to drive it, and I have to say, it rode pretty nice. It is a 1987 Toyota 4x4, with 190000 on the clock. I it came from California, overall real solid. I have not yet ran the numbers, but the person i bought it from said it was a turbo truck, but was removed some time ago. As it sits it has the original 22r, with a carburetor, and 5 speed transmission .
Just thought it was so unique that I would share it with you.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
when I first bought my new Toyota, a 1986 4runner, I test drove a custom cab. It was cool but the turning radius was huge.

Many of the custom cabs were turbo. If it was a turbo hopefully it still has the R-151 trans, those are the most desired of the early manuals
Old 10-29-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What was the reason behind the cab design??
Old 10-29-2016, 06:11 PM

What does the inside look like? Length of the bed?
Cool find, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-30-2016, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I dont know if the custom cabs were turbo or not. If a truck was converted to a carb truck from an EFI or Turbo, if not done correctly, is a butcher job. The wiring harnesses are nothing the same. Fuel tanks are different as well. I have converted trucks from one fuel style to the other and it is a big job. A few pictures of the wiring harness and I could probably tell which it really is. To do a conversion back to factory specs is not easy to do and probably most could not do it with out showing some evidence of it being converted correctly.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:32 AM

I was going to do a little cleaning before taking this shot, but here it is. the interior has the bench seat in back, i think the purpose of these were to make the quad cab available in the states.like the early dodge and chevy quads, terribly awkward looking, but practical .
That is interesting about the carb swap, i did not look close but it appears to be well done, i will get a pic soon. I read on the Internet most were turbo, but in the pictures i have seen one was the 3.0, the rest non turbo. The transmission on the data tag is a g52, when i looked it up it showed it was used in 84-85, The w56 in 87.
I love to research my hobbies, but most will probably be forgotten in a year or so.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
What was the reason behind the cab design??
I believe that this was before the existence of the "XTra cab"

Why they (Toyota USA) never brought over the DOUBLE cabs (they exist in that body style - over seas) is not clear to me
Probably Tarrif related (i.e. why many 4Runners had the rear seats added in the USA)