86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1986 Toyota Pickup 4x4 22rte Auto to manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1986 Toyota Pickup 4x4 22rte Auto to manual

So Ive been looking and I find tons of info for the regular 22re manual swap. I see that couple transmissions like the r150f would work with the turbo bell housing. But would the one from the automatic work? Or what are the best options? Any one that has any input please help me out. I want to keep this truck. The truck is awesome, has a sunroof, electric windows, original turbo seat buckets. The only thing that kills it is the automatic transmission which I might also add isn't working correctly. I'll try to post pics soon , its pretty rough right now.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Batres
So Ive been looking and I find tons of info for the regular 22re manual swap. I see that couple transmissions like the r150f would work with the turbo bell housing. But would the one from the automatic work? Or what are the best options? Any one that has any input please help me out. I want to keep this truck. The truck is awesome, has a sunroof, electric windows, original turbo seat buckets. The only thing that kills it is the automatic transmission which I might also add isn't working correctly. I'll try to post pics soon , its pretty rough right now.
you have done the research and have the answer..

It came with an R series, which only mated to the rte and requires the 22r to R series bellhousing..

You can't use the automatic Bell..

In a pinch you can put the W series but the ratios are incorrect and its likely to break if you're not gentle with it.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So then would my best option just be to try and find an r151f?