84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Vacuum Lines Incorrectly Routed

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum Lines Incorrectly Routed

Hello,

I am a complete newbie to auto repair but am getting help from my brother in law who is a pretty solid mid level auto repair dude. He pulled my engine three times and eventually got it singing on a Subaru Outback a couple years back. Was the parts boy at the premier European Repair shop here where we live. Anyway, I was gifted an 84 Toyota pickup (longbed) automatic transmission with a 22r engine. When I was given the truck I was told by my friend that the vacuum lines were Incorrectly Routed and that was the main hiccup with the vehicle. The year before he had driven to LA and back from Seattle and then it just sat around mostly in seattle with occaisional trips around town and the Puget sound area. He gave it to me and I drove it around where I live near the Canadian border for the better part of last summer with "incorrectly routed" vacuum lines, It'd take quite a few attempts to turn it over and then you'd really have to baby the gas pedal to not stall out and whatnot. I was mainly driving to a farm outside of town and once I got it up to 45 on a county road it just putted along fine. Was normally a pain in the ass at lower speeds and stop and go. Then I had to park it all fall and most of the winter till now. It has power but wont turn over so I think my starter is dead. I have the manual. I am planning on bleeding the fuel lines myself, replacing the starter and re-routing these vacuum lines. Was just wondering if anyone here had any constructive advice. Take it to a mechanic is not where I am headed with in regards to seeking constructive advice. I have a garage full of tools and an engine hoist 3 ton and 1500 lb leveler. I have the Haynes manual sitting here on the kitchen table as well. I am planning on bleeding those fuel lines cause I think some crap fuel got into the gas tank on accident over the fall when I was drunk. The vehicle has not been turned over and I did suck about a 5 gallon bucket half full of "gas" outta the tank with a gas tank pump tool thing from napa.

Thanks in advance and I do have a digital camera and am happy to take pictures.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you could download the FSM (Factory Service Manual) that would be best for trouble shooting as they give you many options with how to's. Once you have exhausted that you can pin point more precisely and seek more advice.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't buy a new starter... Rebuild yours😀. I am a novice and I just did mine and it was $11 for a new plunger and contacts. I think martin crawler has a good walkthrough if you google it. Good luck with your vacuum lines!