84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

problems after front axle rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems after front axle rebuild

Bought a low range front axle rebuild kit and followed all of their videos. I have been wrenching for a while and haven’t worked on too many trucks or 4x4’s until I got my 1984 Toyota 4x4.

So I removed the front axle, painted and cleaned the 33 years of grime and leaking
gear oil off of it and painted it. Looks great.
Threw on some land cruiser rotors and ifs v6 calipers along with a new dual diaphragm booster and master cylinder.
Assembled the front axle with new wheel and trunnion bearings and races. Checked pre load and set to factory specs because I’m running 31” tires. Even installed new tie rod ends.

First problem. Steering shaft coming from fire wall is slightly contacting my u joint on the new dual diaphragm booster. So pulled the booster and ground down the u joint a bit for some clearance.

Get everything put together and go for a test drive and the steering feels a bit odd and I think it’s my alignment. Get an alignment and the wheel seems to be sticking and won’t return to center after a turn. Caster was 1.79 l and 1.91 r added a 1.5* caster shin on each side and truck is returning to center better but still sticking on small adjustments on freeway or around town and seems to wander.

Also it seems the right new wheel bearing is making a squeaking noise at slower speeds and truck pulls that way a bit. I pulled the bearing and it looked to be scoring the spindle a bit. Called low range and they said maybe my spindle was past tolerance so they hooked me up with a new one and bearing and race. I will change this soon I am just trying to get the steering figured out first.

Any input would help I thought maybe the trunnion bearings were installed poorly but then I would expect my pre load to be off?
Another thought was that maybe some metal shavings got into my u joints spider bearing when I was grinding but it didn’t seem likely.

I have been trying to put some miles on it and it seems to have gotten better or I am just getting used to it I’m not sure. Maybe it needs to break in a bit with everything new I just don’t want to have to pull it apart again completely.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.
Also installed an ome lift and shocks as well as pro comp drag link
Old 11-28-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Funny when you see ppl posting same question on multiple forums.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
You may have the steering gear preload too tight. This will generally cause tightness or binding when the wheels are straight ahead. I have heard this described as "wandering", "pulling", and "won't return to straight when I let go of the wheel" among other things. This is because the gears are made to be tightest at straight forward for less noticeable play and if they are too tight it will stop moving unless you make it and then as it passes center it will move by itself a little ways. I forget if it's an Allen or a flathead but there's a locknut and stud on top and if you were to loosen it about 1/4 turn and test drive it you might see a difference, if not put it back where you found it. Either that or find the adjustment procedure in the service manual.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akwheeler
You may have the steering gear preload too tight. This will generally cause tightness or binding when the wheels are straight ahead. I have heard this described as "wandering", "pulling", and "won't return to straight when I let go of the wheel" among other things. This is because the gears are made to be tightest at straight forward for less noticeable play and if they are too tight it will stop moving unless you make it and then as it passes center it will move by itself a little ways. I forget if it's an Allen or a flathead but there's a locknut and stud on top and if you were to loosen it about 1/4 turn and test drive it you might see a difference, if not put it back where you found it. Either that or find the adjustment procedure in the service manual.
i had thought this may be it but my buddy shot the idea down. I adjusted it earlier and only thing it did is put some more slop in the steering wheel. Good suggestion tho. Was definitely worth a try.