84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Picked up this gem for $800 today

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up this gem for $800 today

85 4x4, 5spd, carbureted, std cab, longbox, runs.
Planning to run 39's with the parts to do so properly (to which I am not afraid to cut and clearance any obstructions, such as firewall or anything else), and keep it as low as mechanically possible. Objective is to use it for a verticle mineshaft spelunking mule. Reliability being priority with capability a close second. I will do my best to keep updates on my unusual build, but have patience, as I work out of town a lot and will work on this in sparatic bursts at random times.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Donno why you'd want such grossly oversized tires to make that truck desert/mountain capable.

I think you're shooting yourself in the foot.

With moderate driving skills, armor, and lockers, anybody could take such a truck as yours and go anywhere, or more, places on 31-33 inch tires than you will be able to go with 39s'.

Looks like a very nice truck for the small money.

Last edited by millball; 07-09-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by millball
Donno why you'd want such grossly oversized tires to make that truck desert/mountain capable. I think you're shooting yourself in the foot. With moderate driving skills, armor, and lockers, anybody could take such a truck as yours and go anywhere, or more, places on 31-33 inch tires than you will be able to go with 39s'. Looks like a very nice truck for the small money.
I agree, very nice truck for the money. Again I agree, no need for the extreme tires. Save the money and get some lockers. 33s locked and a little lift will make that thing into a tank.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Nice score!! Any rust?

SFA trucks don't need the lift of a SAS truck to run large tires; as long as you don't mind trimming.

I say this is 'Merica build your truck your way and I'll build mine my way.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
Nice score!! Any rust?

SFA trucks don't need the lift of a SAS truck to run large tires; as long as you don't mind trimming.

I say this is 'Merica build your truck your way and I'll build mine my way.
Nobodys telling him how to build his truck, I only suggested that if capability and reliability are main concerns, as the OP said that they were, the giant tires might get in the way of achieving those goals.

Those bloat wheels are more for show, than for go in the real world. Desert trails are often narrow, more so now that side by side quads are changing the old tracks into ever more narrow ones.

Tall tires good, wide tires....not so much..

Last edited by millball; 07-09-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by millball
Nobodys telling him how to build his truck, I only suggested that if capability and reliability are main concerns, as the OP said that they were, the giant tires might get in the way of achieving those goals. Those bloat wheels are more for show, than for go in the real world. Desert trails are often narrow, more so now that side by side quads are changing the old tracks into ever more narrow ones. Tall tires good, wide tires....not so much..

Right? Jeeeze. We are just giving out general suggestions and comments. That's why we are all here isn't it? I have some bald 31s that hook like a gang of monsters only because I'm running a set of lockers. Any way you build it is still going to be better than a jeep.....America! Wait wait sorry MURICA!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My 85 is locked with 5" lift springs and 33s she goes pretty much anywhere I aim her.
I wish I could find another 85 for the cheap money you spent on that small cab rig you just got, I have ideas.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:19 AM

Gentlemen, I appreciate your input and concerns. The reason I'm aiming for large tires is simply for ground clearance under my axles and a little bit of wow factor (I can't lie, I love that look).
Since we will be going out vast distances from where the usual crowds go I want less of a chance bending a driveshaft, punching a diff, or flat getting hooked to a sharp rock. Most of where we will be going is Johnson Valley, Lucerne Valley, Death Valley, Arizona and Nevada wastelands. ALOT of rocks in all of those places. Trail width is not so much of an issue as I don't mind parking and hiking a bit. Not to mention, around here I can get race take-off tires at good prices. Running large tires on Yota axles will be manageable since I stay light on the throttle in challenging situations.
As a few of you have mentioned already, "to each his own". If I find my idea's to be counterproductive to my needs in the dirt I'll gladly open the "I told you so" envelope for you all.
Idea's and comments, whether good or bad, are always welcome. I know that you guys sure come up with some very compelling logic and I'm always listening.

In the meantime I will still be using this.

Last edited by E-ROC; 07-10-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:58 AM

I agree to each his own, I am not trying to step on anybodies toes but I have a hard time accepting the fact that the yota axles can handle a 39" tire. Maybe I am wrong has anybody ran those?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by bccooper
I agree to each his own, I am not trying to step on anybodies toes but I have a hard time accepting the fact that the yota axles can handle a 39" tire. Maybe I am wrong has anybody ran those?
I never have ran anything lager than a 33. However, I just had my third member out of my 8" rear end and was "WOWED" by how thick and well made the axles where. That being said. It would probably take some real extreme tire / torque to damage an 8" rear axle.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:17 PM

I just order a set of TG Longfeilds for the rear. Stock shafts had ridges worn in them from the outer seals. Found where the water was leaking in. Really for the price was a better deal than going OEM style. Might have been a different story if I didn't already have bearings as most OEM ones come as a kit with bearings.

I'm running an old set of Bobby Longs 27 birfields in the front and have't had an issue. But I'm on 35s and not heavy on skinny pedal. Have my eye on a set of 30 spline front axles either RCV or TG Longs but hopefully that's a could years away. Instead of building Yota axles you could build a set of 60s. Will cost more initially but will save in the long run. That being said I don't think a built set of Yota axles with a good gear install will have a problem with 39s if you don't wheel by throttle. Been many guys run SBCs and big tires on yota axles.

I'd keep the build with a low stance, I think big tires and low stance is BA. If you clearance the bottom of the axle at the dif section think you can gain 3/4". That's almost a whole tire size. Do the quick release cuts on front brakeline holders so it you have to change a bifield on the trail won't have to open brakelines. I'm not running c clips on my front axle, makes for a easier change out but leaks a bit more gear oil into knuckles.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bccooper
you'd want to use longfields in the rear like muddpigg said, but really, you'd want to do that anyway regardless of the tire size, along with the turbo diff and wider rear housing; if that wasn't enough, put a full-float kit on it, so if an axle does break, the wheel won't come off.

the best way to fit 39's in the front is to push the axle way forward, so you don't have to cut the foot panel area of the fender well... crossover steering, and cut the body panel around the radiator so you can shove the steering box thru the panel, reinforce the frame, blah blah

tons suck because they are too heavy, too wide and you lose a bunch of ground clearance around the pumpkin area... factory toyota sfa sucks because it's built out of tinfoil, and it'll warp when welded... the tg axle housing is much stronger, but it's heavier and there have been questions about q.c.

$800 was a deal, but the o.p. has a long road ahead of him... big tires make a big difference in big rocks tho, i can see why he wants to do it.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:02 PM

Nice score!! Any rust?
Thank you. There is some bubbling rust under that horrifying salmon something paint, but strangely enough, it's on all the body parts I'll be tossing out. Fiberglass fenders, bedsides, hood, and some tube doors will clear it all up.
The frame is rust free with the exception of the rear from about the axle on back. Nothing a day with the wire brush and WD-40 won't fix.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:04 PM

Do the quick release cuts on front brakeline holders so it you have to change a bifield on the trail won't have to open brakelines.
You have my attention sir! Googling now.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:18 PM

A question since I have you guys are all fired up about me running 39's.
I have ran 4.88's, and 5.29's, but have never ran 5.71's. 5.29's seem like they could level out a small 37" tire since when I ran the 5.29's with 35 BFG's my rpm's were at 3200 doing 65mph.
The main point of my question here is...... I have heard more bad than good about 5.71's due to their undersized pinion diameter from achieving the ratio. Does anyone have fact or experience with this?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:05 PM

Most places I've seen mentioning 5.71 and offroading with a toy 8" is don't do it. Some have tried cryo'ing them. But still think the same end result. Gonna be a dog with 5.29 and 39" Think 60's would have more gear options.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:19 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by E-ROC
5.29's seem like they could level out a small 37" tire since when I ran the 5.29's with 35 BFG's my rpm's were at 3200 doing 65mph.
5.29 and 37" tire duplicates the factory gearing, it's perfect on my odometer, and maybe off 3mph on the speedo, depending.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:01 PM

Well, I went and got the 30 day temp tag to take care of California's b.s. requirements for registering the truck (Now dubbed the "Turd Blossom"). Now that I can legally drive it I took it to work as a shakedown run before I drive it from Phoenix AZ to So Cal. Here it sits in service duty right off the bat.

I noticed there was a decent bit of oil stains under it by the end of my work day. Was gonna go to a friends house to do an oil change before the drive this weekend since the current oil looks pretty bad. At the parts store I figured I would check the oil again to see how much has vacated since that morning, and to my surprise, nothing showed on the dipstick. Bad deal. I opted to just return to my place and start searching for a tow bar to pull it home (I am aware of disconnecting the driveshafts to save the tranny/t-case). Here's a pic of the plugs when I did the basic (quick) tune up. Looks like #3 cyl is dead. All good though, Now is my chance to do a 22r rebuild/upgrade/propane conversion that I have been contemplating for some time.

I'll get some pics of my journey that normally takes 4 1/2 hours, but will probably be dramatically extended this time since the Grasshopper is the tow rig for this mission. (I've seen the Mexican's do it for years. lol)

As soon as the build begins on the Turd Blossom I'll start a thread in the build section of this site. For now it's just for info gathering and fun.

Last edited by E-ROC; 07-21-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:11 AM

What 39" tire are you getting? The pitbull rockers have my vote. I don't know anything about the huge tires other then how they look lol. I know the rockers look pretty tough
Old 07-16-2017, 11:56 AM

Nice buy! Looking forward to seeing how your propane conversion comes along.

Quick Reply: Picked up this gem for $800 today