84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Overdrive Solenoid

Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Team420
check your tps!! mine did this, when the tps was out of spec. a quick test would b to unplugg the tps, and see if it shifts better.
Man thanks for the insight. I had suspected it myself but wasn't sure. I went ahead and replaced it tonight and wow, like a whole new truck.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4runnerx3
You only have lock up in 3rd and OD. There are three wires going in the side of the tranny for the solenoids, near the selector mechanism. I would unplug the ECT unit and do a manual shift to see if you have an electrical or mechanical problem. If the OD light flashes you have an electrical problem, it will not tell you if you have a mechanical problem. With the unit unplugged, L is 1st, 2 is 3rd and D is OD. You will not have 2nd gear because the shift solenoids are not working.

Here's a pic showing the layout of the solenoids in the valve body.

which one is for the OD?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There isn't a OD solenoid. The #1 and #2 solenoids work in pairs, on and off combinations for all the gears. When both 1 and 2 are off, you're in OD.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 PM

There isn't a OD solenoid. The #1 and #2 solenoids work in pairs, on and off combinations for all the gears. When both 1 and 2 are off, you're in OD.
so i guess its best to replace all of them

my runner shifts prefect but doesnt go into overdrive. it does after like 20 minutes of driving. once i slow down and get back up to speed it wont go back into overdrive. i have no flashing od light. when od is on, the light turns off (this is normal right?) when i turn od off it lights up and says off iirc
Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 PM

It won't go into OD until the temp sensor on the engine tells the ECT unit it has warmed up. If 1,2 and 3 shift fine, it's not the shift solenoids. 1st gear, no 1 is on,2 off. Second gear no 1 off, 2 on, third gear both are on and OD both are off. Are you getting lock up in third gear?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:43 PM

It won't go into OD until the temp sensor on the engine tells the ECT unit it has warmed up. If 1,2 and 3 shift fine, it's not the shift solenoids. 1st gear, no 1 is on,2 off. Second gear no 1 off, 2 on, third gear both are on and OD both are off. Are you getting lock up in third gear?
shifts perfect in 1st 2nd and 3rd. no OD/lock up but does when i drive it for 20 min. once i slow down and try again it wont lock up. i already order a tstat+gasket via toyota
Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Have you unplugged the ECT and done a manual shift? L will be 1st, 2 will be 3rd and D will be OD. You will not have 2nd gear because the shift solenoids don't work with the ECT unplugged. The ECT is at the front of the console under the radio.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:00 PM

4runnerx3

Thank You. i had an idea it was my tstat but i alway see the needle half way but just took a long time. i just installed a new one and test drove. LOVE IT. low revs high mpg
looked at old t stat and u can see its a little bit stuck open. its crazy how much a difference it makes. warms up so much faster now.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
4runnerx3

Thank You. i had an idea it was my tstat but i alway see the needle half way but just took a long time. i just installed a new one and test drove. LOVE IT. low revs high mpg
looked at old t stat and u can see its a little bit stuck open. its crazy how much a difference it makes. warms up so much faster now.
You are talking about the termostat on the engine made your tranny shift better?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jerbou71
You are talking about the termostat on the engine made your tranny shift better?
kinda. my tranny wouldnt go into overdrive because my engine wasnt warming up to operating temp. the ecu wont let the tranny go into overdrive unless the engine is warmed up. i had a feeling my t stat was no good because it took so long to warm up but never to operating temp.

without overdrive, my revs where so high i hated it and i knew it wasnt going into overdrive.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 AM

i have a similar on my 86 toyota pickup i have the trans with the floor shifter. but no matter what my truck wont shift in to over drive...even when my truck is warmed up....but i noticed my temp gauge fluctuate up and down and some times my tach doesnt work on my gauge cluster.....should i change the temp sending unit, thermostate, and temp switch to see if it could fix the problem....

btw what do you mean when you guys say lock up
Old 02-09-2010, 03:38 PM

change your T stat and make sure u get all the air out. should fix it right away.
the fluctuation could just be air in the system
Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 AM

Just an update from me on this..... after swapping to a 5spd I can say my problem was 100% mechanical, not electrical. I didn't separate the auto motor/trans, but I'm positive that if I did I'd find the converter was shot.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 AM

I'm enjoying a similar problem. Keeps shifting from 2nd to 4th. Can anyone tell me where to find the temperature sensor for this control? Halfway down the block on the passenger side? How about the OD relay? The one in the control circuit that is activated by the manual OD switch and the temperature sensor. Is that the black box on the break pedal mount?

Last edited by garthscovill; 04-17-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just rebuilt the top end of my 3L and now I cant get my OD to turn on nor will the light on the dash come on; even when I push the button on the shifter. I didnt do anything but remove and re install the heads; so why is my OD not working now? does the engine temp sensor disable the OD if its bad?

and I cant find anything on OD in my haynes...
Old 03-04-2011, 09:52 PM

i know OD works under certain conditions. being at operating temp is one of them
just make sure you didnt break any sensors and plugged in all connectors
Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 AM

The OD on some of these has an altitude cutoff sensor too. Pete
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 PM

Exclamation a340h trans

hey guys a buddy of mine has the 1985 22re auto hes was talkin about an o/d problem he didnt explain it clear enough but it sounds like the button on the shifter is not working an the transmission is hittin o/d at bad times? he hits the button an no o/d light comes on.... ill try an get more info from him but could it be a relay/button/bad wires/ solenoid/converter?????

Last edited by jessed59; 03-11-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 AM

Hi everybody. I'm having this same issue with my recently acquired 85 4Runner auto. It's exactly like jessed's description - OD button doesn't seem to do anything, but the switch is good, the temp sensor seems to work as the trans won't go into OD until it's warm. I also pulled off the connector on the temp sensor, grounded the connector and there's a solnoid on top of the valve cover that clicks. I just got the truck (bought it from my friend in Denver, had it shipped to Chicago) about two weeks ago and have just about all the other little things taken care of, but this shifting issue is really, really bugging me.

Here's the full description - 1-2-3 shifts seem fine, especially when cold, but it will shift into OD early and chug/vibrate/turn into an even bigger turd WAYYY too early and won't downshift unless I shift manually into 2 (OD button has no effect). This is what this thread was interesting at first - I was thinking about disabling OD as that makes it liveabe. The other problem is that the truck won't downshif to accelerate. I have adjusted the throttle/kickdown cable with no noticeable change. I've also ohmed the TPS and everything seemed fine. There may have been one reading out of whack, but I didn't have the correct feeler gauge and was using a gift card (.051 if I remember right). Ah, all this and I have no reverse lights.

Thoughts?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 AM

Back to the original question: Where is the OD solenoid? Not the one on the trans, but the one attached to the "pedal bracket" according to the manual. Anybody? I really, really want the ability to lock out OD.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overdrive Solenoid