84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Nineteen-Eighty-Five-oh

Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nineteen-Eighty-Five-oh

Article By:
toyota_mdt_tech

OK, I was telling a few of you on the forum earlier about a spindle bushing lubricator.
I mentioned doing the needle bearings is a bad idea IMHO.
The bushings can squeal when low on grease, especially when its colder. Noisy spindles are a result of no lube.

Lubing is a bear and time consuming.
I have devised a tool for our dealership.
Did this about 10 years ago as a way to lubricate the spindle bushings without removing a little more then the hub (or ADD plate if ADD equipped) and pumping in grease with a grease gun.

Parts Required:
If you want to build your own spindle lubricator, you will need a few items. First, a piece of galvanized or steel water pipe.
A short threaded 2" piece exactly 3" long.
A spindle nut (the 54mm one) you know, the one so many use a chisel to set up?

For the life of me, how does one set preload properly chiseling a nut?
And you know who you are!

Step 1:

OK, now you will need a dead cap for one end of the pipe.
Either drill a hole and tap it for a grease fitting (most are 1/4") or a reducer end with another reducer till you get down to a grease fitting size (this is what I did).
Now braze the nut on one end of the pipe (opposite end of the blind cap) and braze it air tight.
No holes please.

Step 2:

Now remove your ADD plate or hub.
After the hub is off, remove one spindle nut, lock tab (the think you bend over to secure the spindle nuts with) the snap ring and thrust washer on the end of the axle.

Step 3:

Screw your spindle lubricator on the end of your spindle in place where the spindle nut you just removed was.

Now pump the lubricator with grease (manually fill the lubricator by had first to speed things up) and pump the gun till you see some grease show up coming out the other end, but only a smidge of grease.

Step 4:

Now remove the lubricator, and the spindle is full of grease so putting the axle back in will be tricky.

Here is what I do.
Install the bolt with washer into the end of the axle.
Just enough to get a screwdriver under the large washer.
Now pry under the washer using the hub stud as a fulcrum and draw the axle back into the bore.
Pull it till the extra grease smooshes out and set on the thrust and snap ring.

All done!
OK, now to keep your lubricator clean during storage (keep the grease from collecting dirt) set it in an old paint can cap.
Keeps your storage area from getting grease, and keeps the grease from getting dirty.

Any questions about this article, please contact toyota_mdt_tech, and not Writeups@YotaTech

Additional Note, Corey:
On the 54mm socket, most are designed for a 3/4" ratchet.
WabFab happens to carry one that had been modded to fit a standard 3/8" ratchet with no modifications required on your part.

Click here to see WabFab's spindle nut.

Thanks to your suggestions in a thread from winter, a Wiki has been added to further enhance the huge technical database here at YotaTech.

BRING ON THE 4_WHEELIN!!!! JA mON!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post is dedicated in loving memory to Nikita...
my thoughts,prayers, and best wishes are always there for you, wherever your burned pieces are... but I have a wish that we will again someday meet...

thanks mr. rallyroach for straightening me out... my *axhoels//* run fine now...

and I am not one, and we both needed a time out... that thread post entertained me, man! I love that kind of arrogant aggression! I like that in a yoda pilot!

just zoom in on your rallying target and stop the abuse, OKAY!!!!!?????????!!!!
IT BETTER BE OKAY!

it's only you, rally. One of my best friends from school used to beat me up everyday.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 AM

Um, don't know where to go with that...

Glad you're back, your posts are always very interesting to read.

Just...step...away from the Pepsi...
Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Bunta... keep it in check dude
Old 06-13-2007, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we should call him "blunta"
Old 06-13-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by norcalsvx
we should call him "blunta"
Well you're the one from Grass Valley guy

Doesn't Ricky Williams live up there?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:55 PM

Excellent, I get a shout-out in a useful thread, rather that other steaming pile of self indulgent #&*@.

Good tech tho...

Last edited by RallyRoach; 06-17-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Search this Thread