84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Need Smog help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Smog help!

Hello, just got my 1985 4runner! Attached a pic!
Took it to get smogged and it failed, apparently has the PAIR system removed! Then it gets more confusing because it's an 85 EFI truck, but the smog guy says it has a newer engine and smog system, even a different distributor than 85. The guy I bought it from did get a new rebuilt engine recently, but said it was just the long block.
I did confirm that the egr is still on there, but the smog system that bolts to the driver's side manifold isn't there.
My question is if a smog system from a 92 will have the same fitment as mine? There is one on ebay for a 92 that isnt bid up much and I thought it couldnt hurt to buy it:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/1992-Toyota-2...-/132323726742
Any ideas?

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Need Smog help!-20170904_140007.jpg  
Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
your 85 should not have a PAIR system that system came much later on the EFI runners and pickups.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Yes, that's what I have learned, but the smog guy said the engine is newer. It's a big headache, and I have to take it to the Referee.
I did order those parts off ebay, it looks like the same sort of parts that are missing from my engine, fingers crossed!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I dont think the PAIR was used until 1988, The blocks are all the same, from 85 until 94. Each year Toyota did add a little more smog items to truck. Mostly VSV or PAIR. 86 is the closest to your 85 for equipment. I think the 85 had a more flatter Throttle Body then the 86 so I could be wrong on that part.

A 92 motor has far more vacuum lines then the 85. I am familiar with the 89 and newer trucks but not as well as the 84-88. I would stay with 87 and older parts for your Intake and Emissions parts. I have seen some minor differences on the Intake manifold and can only guess using 92 parts have several more differences.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 AM

This is what the smog guy wrote up, and from what I know about PAIR etc, it seems he might be wrong?
I do know (now) that the PO removed the smog tubes from the manifold and put blocking plates. That alone is a red flag for smog, had I known I wouldn't have gotten a test. The PO told me he had it smogged before and I think he knew the previous guy and had him look past the visual part...
My hope is that if I put that tube back on and get it to be a sound system as it was on an 85, it should work.
I'd like to avoid multiple trips to the smog ref, and am hoping to have something legit on there by next week. I'm also hoping they can point me in the right direction.
This is why CA has a rule for the PO to do the smog, but he sorta left it at, "you want the truck, you do it" and I really wanted it
Attached Thumbnails Need Smog help!-smognotes.jpg  

Last edited by scootr81; 09-21-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 PM

Can you provide us with a picture of the engine. Your exhaust should have blockoff plates. From the info. we have I think the smog tech is lost, and does not know what he is looking at. I want to know how he can state that the engine is newer. If it is newer your wire harness and everything will be evident.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:23 PM

Okay here I go... I think I have a better idea of what is going on!

The PO mentioned something about a different intake, and it's obvious that it's not the correct intake! hence misleading the smog tech to think it was a newer setup! That whole part wasn't even hooked up on the driver's side because it doesn't belong there.

I'm thinking of buying the lc engineering intake to solve this problem? It is carb legal. this is clearly not the right intake and it might be hard to find an original 85.

I also took off the manifold shield to show the blocking plates. Is it supposed to have the smog tubing there?

My other question is the comment he made about the distributor being different, is he crazy?

Pics here:https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sk2BmGBNnn4EYTew2
Old 09-22-2017, 03:31 PM

Yup, looks like the PO likes taking up engine bay space. Pull the PAIR stuff off, and cap the hose port on the air box. your intake plenum and throttle body are correct. Also the blockoff plates are correct. Mr. Tech should have done his homework it is simple to see that the PAIR system is not for that Runner.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It's a newer intake but as long as all vacuum hoses are correctly hooked up it isn't a problem. Distributor is fine, just has the plug clip in a different location. You need to go to a different smog tech.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:01 AM

Thanks!

I've bypassed the air pump on the air intake (that wasn't needed) and am getting the proper Catalytic Converter installed tomorrow! Then I just need to check/adjust the timing.
I even called the smog tech and explained and he agreed on a bunch of what I was saying... Should pass now
Old 09-28-2017, 03:02 PM

Good luck.