84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

!!! help!!! 84 carb no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
!!! help!!! 84 carb no start

Ok so i just put a new crate engine in the truck and got it all back together. I can not get it to start. I can squirt a lil start fluid in the carb and it will run long enough to burn that of then it dies. I can pump the pedal several times and the same thing it runs long enough to burn that gas off. I dont know a whole lot about carbs as this is my first carb truck. any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 AM

the fuel pump is pumping fuel, there is gas in the sight glass, but when pumping the pedal there is no fuel coming out of the secondary jet. shouldnt there be?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Stock carb, right? Are all your vac lines/wires hooked up correctly? choke opperating correct?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM

I put everything back like it was. If that's correct i don't know. yes it is a stock carb
Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 AM

Sounds like you diagnosed your problem in your second post... The fuel pump?
Test that according to the fsm.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM

I had to leave town for a few hours so im not with the truck but if i disconnect the fuel line from the pump to the carb and when i turn the key it shoots gas out it should be good right?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by silsbeeboy88
but when pumping the pedal there is no fuel coming out of the secondary jet. shouldnt there be?
From the secondary...no.
From the primary, yes.

Here's my picture of the accelerator pump jet (in the circle), this is where the fuel should be squirting out when you pump the gas pedal.

When standing in front of the truck, looking at the engine, the primary barrel is on the left of the two barrels. The secondary barrel is closest to the valve cover and the primary is on the side of the front fender.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM

but if i disconnect the fuel line from the pump to the carb and when i turn the key it shoots gas out it should be good right?
Well, it should be.

The fuel pump puts out a relatively low pressure, around 4 psi. The carburetor is more concerned about volume (fuel level in the bowl) than pressure. So if the fuel level is in the middle of the bowl, then the fuel pump is working and your float circuit is working.

Last edited by slow-mo; 11-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:43 PM

Ok so according to the pic you posted I had my jets mixed up. so what I should have said was there is no gas coming out of the PRIMARY jet when pumping the pedal. What does this mean?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Oh and by looking at other threads I have determined that the fuel level in my sight glass is way too high, its all the way to the top of the glass.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:41 PM

From what I am seeing in the pic, that's the accelerator pump nozzle that you circled. The pump itself is to the right, in that open area(fuel bowl) but on the left side of the bowl.looks like a screw kinda...

Just correcting terminology. Until someone corrects me....
Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 PM

most likly your problem is the accelerator pump or a cloged jet if you pole the top off the carb you can get to all of the jet
Old 11-16-2012, 06:34 PM

is the accelerator pump fairly simple to change, i mean is there any springs or anything i should be aware of?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:36 PM

nope really simple
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 PM

It's simple. Just take your time and label anything you remove. Don't force anything. Accelerator pump is threaded (i believe) into the bottom of the float bowl. When you pull it out, spray some carb cleaner into the passageway underneath it, to ensure it clear all the way to the nozzle, the install the new pump. Don't tighten very hard, just snug it.

I'm not sure if you can get just the accel pump separately at the dealer or online, or if its only available in the kits. Research that.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by rokblok
The pump itself is to the right, in that open area(fuel bowl) but on the left side of the bowl.looks like a screw kinda...
Accelerator pump is threaded (i believe) into the bottom of the float bowl.
You are thinking of the Power Valve.

The main Accelerator Pump is, in my pic, on the bottom right. It has the mechanical metal arm to it. It is held in place by 4 screws. There is a spring inside of it and the pump itself is just a simple rubber diaphragm.

I'm not sure if you can get just the accel pump separately at the dealer or online, or if its only available in the kits. Research that.
It's available from the dealer separately.

Part number, in the picture link, 21667. The full part number is 21667-35510.

It can be purchased online at either toyotapartszone.com or toyotapartseast.com or locally.

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.asp...308-8708%2922R

It also comes in a rebuilt kit as well.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 AM

Thanks guys for the help. i am going to install the New pump today. hopefuly it fixes the prlem
Old 11-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Slow, you are correct. I am retarded...
Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 AM

Ok so after waiting on my special order accelerator pump to come in, I installed it this morning. The truck still won't stay running. If i give it about30% throttle it will run all day but as soon as i let off the throttle it dies. This is so frustrating. ANY IDEAS???
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM

The truck still won't stay running. If i give it about30% throttle it will run all day but as soon as i let off the throttle it dies. ANY IDEAS???
First, did you correct your fuel level by fixing or adjusting the float level?

From your description, it sounds like your idle circuit is not functioning. When your apply 30% throttle, then the carburetor is not using the idle circuit anymore.

There's realy no way to test the carb for a idle circuit failure except by the symptoms the carb emmits, like a non idling carburetor. So two things, if you have an inspection mirror, using the mirror, look down the primary barrel to see if there is any obstruction in the idle jet. It is very small so I doubt you will be able to see anything. Second, typically, one would need to disasemble the carburetor and dip it in caburetor solvent and rebuild it.

edit to add: oh, I forgot to include that maybe the Idle Mixture Screw is out of adjustment. There is a metal plug, which normally make the screw non-adjustable, check to see if it is off the carb. Maybe someone was playing around with the adjustments or maybe damaged the screw.

Did this carburetor work prior to installing the new crate engine?

Last edited by slow-mo; 11-19-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: !!! help!!! 84 carb no start