84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Drive Shaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive Shaft Question

So in changing my 85 from Auto to 5 Spd I will be using different drive shafts since the auto ones wont fit. I have read where during normal clutch replacement and drive shaft inspection the need to mark the orientation of the drive shaft to replace them as they have been taken out.

So if you are using drive shafts that are new to the vehicle and new to the transfer case what would be the procedure for installing them without having some problem? Since I have sourced the tranny/tcase and drive shafts from different vehicles what should I look out for during install?

Thanks...
Old 08-07-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Google driveshaft phasing.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
Google driveshaft phasing.
Ok thanks, reviewed all I could about phasing and now the FSM makes more sense. The rear I have looks good hopefully that will fit length wise - it should.....

My original front drive shaft from the automatic looks a bit off no matter how the slip is placed on. Seems no matter how I put the slip on it is either left or right of being centered. Either 12 o'clock/1:00 o'clock or 12 o'clock/11 o'clock. But I don't think it will fit anyway.

Even better news ( add sarcasm) is the "new" front drive shaft I was going to exchange the slip with seems to have a bent spline so back to the drawing board on that.

If anyone wants to add input please do...