84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

coolant out exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant out exhaust

I did a timing belt, tensioners and water pump on a 94 3.0 and now i have coolant coming out the exhaust. Could there be something with the tensioners causing that?? Ran fine didn't loose any coolant until changing those parts. I don't see how it could be related but thought I would ask.
thanks
Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 AM

Are you sure you are losing coolant into the exhaust and it is not just a leak? Is it a big white cloud of steam or just a small amount perhaps from cold weather condensate?

Years back when I replaced by water pump it apparently did not use a good sealant or did not have it cleaned up well because it started leaking around the water pump and the upper idler pulley. Not familiar with the ’94, but on mine there is no way for tension pully to cause a water leak into the exhaust. Coolant can be lost through many places, but if coming out in the exhaust, the sources are pretty limited.

Possible sources of coolant to exhaust are the throttle body coolant passage and a blown head gasket. I have read about some folks who inadvertently connected the throttle body coolant line to a vacuum line and others that said the thermowax valve in the passage ruptured. Though there is no reason to disconnect that line when replacing the timing belt.

If you think it is a blown head gasket you can do a compression test or use block test kit which test for combustion gases in the radiator head space, or do both. You can get a loaner at some auto parts stores so the only expense is about $7.00 for the test fluid. For more info, see this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...xhaust-298425/
Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Yes it's going out the exhaust. I can see it running out, if drive about 5 miles I have to put in about a gallon of water or coolant.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nix03
Yes it's going out the exhaust. I can see it running out, if drive about 5 miles I have to put in about a gallon of water or coolant.
That is not good for sure. Only other two ways I know you can get water into exhaust is the throttle body or blown head gasket. Try the block test kit. It is cheap, easy to do and effective way to confirm if you have a blown head gasket.

If you believe it is the throttle body passage, you can temporarily plug them off.

How does your oil look? Any evidence of water in the oil?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:24 AM

I did compression test and no good on one cylinder, oil looks fine. Turned it over with out plugs in and that one cylinder is blowing water out plug hole so guess I have head gasket or a cracked head. No problems at all for 254k.
May try a remanufacterd motor anyone have luck with those?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:38 AM

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. I do not have any experience with reman's, so I will leave that for others to address. Lot's of folks would say swap in a 3.4. Personally, I just milled the heads and put my 3.0 back together. Of course, that really depends on if if is just the head gasket and the heads, block, etc are all still in good shape. Guess it also depends on how deep your pockets are and the overall condition of the truck.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:51 AM

The block is good, I worry about doing the head gasket and checking, milling head and then something happening to the bottom end. I'm not doing the swap just use truck for hunting, checking cows and running boys to games and practices.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:43 PM

I hear ya. I had the same concerns, but also worried about remans too. Search for other threads on remans. I read some that had good results and some with terrible results. A short block will cost 1200 to 1500 and a long block 3200 to 3500, plus install unless you do it yourself.
Finding a good quality shop that stands behind their work, always seem difficult.

For comparison, i spent about $1,000 on parts and consumables plus $40 per head to mill. Also dropped a few hundred on tools I needed but did not have. You can get out a lot cheaper on parts if cash strapped or just do not want to overspend. I replaced some items because the engine was out and it was easy access, plus rebuilt the power steering pump, replaced hoses and fluids, etc. I did not do a valve job or the bottom end. Only time will tell if it was the right decision.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:18 PM

How many miles on yours when you did the heads and gaskets? How many miles have you got since doing the heads and gaskets?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by nix03
How many miles on yours when you did the heads and gaskets? How many miles have you got since doing the heads and gaskets?
Just finished it this week, so only about 100 miles since getting it back in service. It has a little over 188,000 on it total. It is my daily driver, but my commute is pretty short, so the miles do not accumulate quickly.