84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

charging/electrical please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charging/electrical please help!!!

so I have an 85 runner sr5 with 22re and it has some issues if you dont understand feel free to ask but I will explain the best that I can

#1 whenever I use the turnsignal the volt gauge dances

the next problems are different scenarios that happen with the headlights being turned on and all other accs. off

#2 with the truck idiling if I turn the headlights on the volt gauge will drop to the middle line then return to the normal charge line in about 5-10 seconds

#3 with the truck idiling if I turn the headlights on the volt gauge will drop to the middle line and stay there and I have figured out that if I tap the brake pedal it will then return to the normal charge line with in a couple of seconds

#4 with the truck idiling if I turn the headlights on the volt gauge will drop to the middle line and the charge light and brake light will flicker then the volt gauge will go back to the normal charge line within a few seconds

#5 with the truck idiling if I turn the headlights on the volt gauge will drop to the middle line and the charge light and brake light will come on and stay on and when it does this if I tap the brake pedal the volt gauge will slowly go back up to the charge line within 5-10 seconds but the charge light and brake light stay on

#6 with the truck idiling if I turn the headlights on the volt gauge will drop to the middle line and the charge light and brake light will come on and stay on now sometimes if I leave the headlights on and shut the truck of and then restart it with the headlights still on the charge light and brake light will go off and the gauge will slowly go up to the normal charge line WTF????

I have replaced the alternator 2 times and the battery is good. I have also replaced the battery - cables going to the body, frame and engine block along with cleaning the mounting surfaces. I read on here that the battery+ wire that goes to the fuse block under the hood can be a problem so I even upgraded it with a bigger new wire but I still have the problem. I know it's not the volt gauge because I have verified these problems with my volt meter and it's a fluke 88 so I know it's correct. Everything else on the truck works fine and it runs great any help with this would be much appreciated thanks!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It sounds like you still have a bad alternator, even though you have replaced it two times already. Were are you getting the alternators from ?, sometimes its worth spending the extra money to get an oem replacement part. When i replaced the alternator on my 4Runner i bought a rebuilt denso alternator and i havn`t had any problems with it.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 PM

How about a bad headlight relay? If it draws too much current, it would cause a high amperage draw on the electrical system.

The only thing between the battery and your headlights is a 20A fuse and the headlight relay. If neither one of those is creating the draw on the electrical system, you might ohm out the wire from the headlight fuse to the headlights themselves.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks for both of your input. The 2 alternators that I have tried I got one from schucks and the other from napa both were reman. with lifetime warranty so I'm really not out any money. I suppose I could return the one thats on there now and buy one from another store were did you find the denso?I will try the headlight relay first though since it is the easiest. any idea why it starts charging if I tap the brake pedal?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
How about a bad ground? The headlights and other lights might be finding an alternative route to ground which has very high resisitance which is causing the voltage drop. When you touch the brake it simply provides a better ground loop through the brake light circuit. Might also me a bad connection on the power side of the circuit too.

Check the condition of the main dash grounds in the kick pannels and on the inner fender wells.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 AM

Does anything change between high and low beam? I concur with checking the grounds under the left front piller (22R) and right front fender (22RE).

The High/Low Dimmer switch could also be a culprit.

Last edited by SanDogDewey; 03-12-2010 at 10:59 AM.