84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Broken TPS or Broken User?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken TPS or Broken User?

I'm starting to drive myself a little bit batty, so I think it's time to tap into the collective brain power of Yotatech.

I rebuilt the 22RE in my 1985 4Runner after it blew the head gasket and it runs (woohoo!). When I start it up it idles fine, however after I drive it - even a short distance like down the street - it starts idling high, I would guess around 2k RPM. If I shut it off and restart the engine, it will idle fine until I move the truck under it's own power, then it will idle high again.

I adjusted the idle to split the difference between good idle at rest and high idle after driving. The idle speed is okay this way, but the engine misses at idle quite a bit. I know this idle adjustment is not a perm. fix, just a band-aid for now.

Other symptoms are that it smells like it's running rich and I can't set timing because the timing mark is way off to the left (retarded). ECU is throwing codes 11 and 7.

All signs seem to point to bad TPS or possibly malfunctioning IAV. I ohm'd out the TPS and IDL+E2 are reading infinite at all positions but all other tests are fine. Seems like a bad TPS.

I ordered a used OEM TPS on eBay and ohm'd it out prior to installation. It's reading the exact same way as my old one - inf. on IDL+E2 but all other tests OK.

Is my "new" TPS bad as well? The odds of having two bad in the same way seem low to me, but the "new" TPS is actually used, so I guess it's possible.

While I had things taken apart, I also checked out the IAV and it's not obstructed in any way. I haven't done temperature testing on it yet, but I suspect it's fine.

I'm thinking at this point I'll order a brand new TPS, but I wanted to check here first to make sure I wasn't overlooking something or doing something stupid.

Any thoughts or sage advice before I plunk down the coin for a new TPS?

Last edited by WD_40; 04-05-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have probably solved this issue by now, but if not, just to be clear you need to use a feeler gauge when testing the TPS.

Clearance Terminals Resistance
0mm VTA-E2 0.2-0.8 ohms
0.57mm IDL-E2 Less than 2.3k ohms
0.85mm IDL-E2 Infinity

If you used a feeler gauge and the reading at 0.57mm was infinity, your TPS is faulty and needs to be replaced. If you install and properly calibrate your new (used) ebay TPS and the 0.57mm reading is infinity, it too is defective. If you are saying to yourself "calibrate?" Than see the link below.

I had the same experience and same test failure after rebuilding the head on my 22re. Not sure why as I did not remove the TPS off the manifold but purchasing a new unit from Toyota and calibrating it resolved my poor running issues.

Below is an excellent article on calibrating your TPS
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

Hope that helps!