84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

battery and brake light on dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery and brake light on dash

Hi guys - well my truck has been ultra reliable until now. It;s a 93 reg cab 22R 4x4. I was washing the front of the engine and top of the front diff and some areas in the engine compartment yesterday after oil change.
I use dawn in a spray bottle and the garden hose. No high pressure. I have done this many times. I let it dry for a while and then closed the lid and parked it in the driveway.
This morning I started it up and I have the brake and battery light on. So I checked the voltage across the battery terminals and it was 12.6vdc.
Started it up and checked and it was 12.1 and rev'd up to around 2k and it stayed there. Not charging. So after reading all about this I pulled the alternator and checked the brushes. they measured .254 inch with
minimum being .177... so the brushes are good. With only 120K miles on the truck I was thinking they would be.
So I checked out the 80 amp alt fusible link in the fuse box and pulled the fuse box of and took the bottom off to inspect inside and all looks normal. I even pulled out the link and looked the wires over pretty good.
I know I didn't have to check it as the truck starts and runs, but wanted to see under the fuse box.
The connector to the alternator looks very good, the pins look good on the alternator, the positive wire looks good and was nice and tight.
Guess it could be the regulator in the alt.
Tomorrow I am taking the alternator to a alt shop to have it tested. I will take the battery to Autozone and have them test that.

My question is , if these turn out to be ok then could it be a problem with the ignition switch? or something else?

Appreciate any help you can offer... respectfully.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ditypup
This morning I started it up and I have the brake and battery light on. So I checked the voltage across the battery terminals and it was 12.6vdc.
Started it up and checked and it was 12.1 and rev'd up to around 2k and it stayed there. Not charging.
The alternator should putting out 13.5 - 14.5 volts at 2k.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks ksti - it turned out to be a bad alternator. The brushes were good and the voltage regulator was good so it must be bad rectifiers. I bought a reman alternator and installed it. not an autozone or other ... but from a local alternator shop..
that fixed the problem. Now i will fix the original alt and keep it as a spare.