84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 4runner Push Pull Steering advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 85 4runner Push Pull Steering advice

Hello all,

I have searched and searched and can't seem to find a solution to my problem. I recently bought a 1985 4runner that has the 4'' lift (i believe pro comp), drop drag link, and stock push pull steering box. I have excessive play at the connection between the pitman arm and drag link and at the connection of the draglink to the steering arm.

I can't seem to find replacement parts for the steering, is that right? Are there any options out there for the original steering type?

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I would like to leave it the way it is not instead of the IFS box/highsteer until I have the funds.

Thank you!
Old 05-20-2018, 09:54 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Is the drag-link hammered? Its about $100 bucks if I remember.

Is this the first lifted toyota you have had. Just asking not trying to make light. But if so they do drive different. Especially when you max out what that steering box is willing to do. What size tires?

IFS box high steer is you best bet. But if its that bad then you should be able to crawl under it and start lookin for worn out parts. Sometimes getting the road grime and grease cleaned off makes finding the worn part easier.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 05-20-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Fishguy,

Thank you for chimming in, I appreciate it. I knew as soon as I posted something, after weeks of research, I would figure it out. This is one of my first solid axle toyota's. I was use to the pitman arm having a ball joint style (probably not the correct terminology) end, like the IFS models and when they wear out, you replace the whole pitman arm. I didn't realize the J-arm and pitman arm just have a little steel ball stud connection points and it is actually the draglink that takes the the place of that.

I was able to tighten up the draglink and it seems much better. Quick question, can a draglink be too tight?

Before tightening i was able to move it back and forth and side to side, now it has no play which makes the steering feel so much better. To get there, I did have to crank some force on it.

I haven't been able to test drive it yet as I am also waiting on a few other parts to arrive this week. Getting an exhaust leak fixed and new front driveline and spacer.

Thanks again!!!