84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 4 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CAPTDASH
Still needing a model year for the FJ60 rotor and calipers.
1984, I believe other years also work. 1986-95 IFS minitruck calipers, not FJ60. V6 calipers are stronger yet but require the 1" MC. V6 booster not absolutely required but extremely beneficial.
It has been my experience running high power Dodge diesels, that disc brakes will not stop as good as drum brakes in good condition.
I don't doubt your experience, but it is not true in this case. Nevertheless lots of folks run drum (in good condition and adjustment) and are happy enough.

Last edited by Red_Chili; 02-05-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with a 86 landcruiser for my rotors, any year FJ60/62 will work though. A vented mini caliper will not work.

I have heard a few guys over on Pirate say the stock drums will stop just as well or better then disc brakes as well. But they have to be maintained and adjusted. Most are not, which greatly affects the performance. I like how simple a disc brake setup is.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:33 PM

I was going to replace my rear brakes today, but they really looked fine. They just needed adjusting real bad. i thought I had a bad wheel cylinder but I didn't. My brake fluid leak is coming out of the boot on the brake leveling valve. I thought I read on here something about bypassing that valve, but can't find it. Can anyone tell me if this valve is stillavailable from Toyota? CAn it simply be bypassed? What do I need to do? Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Wabbit can hook you up with everything.

Fink
Old 02-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Still needing a model year for the FJ60 rotor and calipers. I think that is what I am going to do. I am installing new stock rear brakes this weekend. i already have new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders and spring kits. It has been my experience running high power Dodge diesels, that disc brakes will not stop as good as drum brakes in good condition. I don't see changing the rears, unless I was to go to the 10 inch back plates and all that.
All FJ60 rotors are the same, so 84 or so through 90 will work. I bought some both Marlin and NAPA. The NAPA was cheaper and worked just as well. I personally have not ran V6 calipers, 1” MC and Stock 85 BB, but have been told by many people who have tried that setup that the brakes worked, but the pedal was very stiff. Etype R says it works for him so it’s worth a try. Changing the BB is easy. Also, make sure the V6 calipers will clear your wheels or you will have to run wheel spacers. The IFS 4cyl and FJ60 caliper are the same size as the 79-85 SA caliper so if your wheels clear now, they will clear the IFS 4cyl and FJ60 caliper. FJ60 calipers will work but most use the IFS 4cyl because they are much cheaper and easier to find.

I have never had a problem with the rear drums on any of my rigs. However I do keep mine adjusted and cleaned out. There is a small but noticeable difference between the smaller 79-85 and the larger 86-95 drums in breaking ability.

The marlin MC will work great with V6 calipers and I would recommend a dual diaphragm BB to go along with it. Best way to find one is to get one from a 4cyl 2wd pu. 88 ish through 2002 taco and minis. I paid $25.00 for one of a 2wd 2.7 4cyl taco at a pick n pull.

If you go with the marlin or any other 1 inch MC you will need to change front short steel brake line with one from a 92-95 non abs PU or 4runner. Easy to find and replace.

Chris
Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 AM

I just finished installing rear disc brakes, and a GM 3/4 ton master cylinder. Brakes are great, but the pedal is a bit stiff. But the brakes work great, lots of stopping power. I can deal with the stiff pedal, though I am going to start looking for a larger brake booster.

I am running 1.5" wheel spacers up front, and a IFS rear axle. I needed the wider stance for 35's, as they were hitting my leaf springs before when turning.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Do the taco brake boosters bolt right up to replace our 85 single diaphram boosters? I found the thread with Wabbits proportioning valve setup. That is what I am going to do to solve my proportioning valve problem. I saw this acronym, what does it stand for- MPV?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Manual Proportioning Valve = MPV

Old 02-08-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Manual Proportioning Valve = MPV

Thanks, sometimes I need a little
Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 PM

How much trouble if any would I have putting a 2 inch body lift on this 4 runner? With it being an auto, what would I need to do with the shifter. I put a 2 inch on my 85 truck years ago, and i remember welding extensions to the 5 speed shifters just so they would stay in the original position. Would I need to do something like that for the auto shifters?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 PM

dont do it! im getting rid of my body lift this weekend throws off the center of balance and messes with shift cables and such. thats just my opinion maybe people can tell you some good things about body lifts...
Old 02-09-2010, 12:27 AM

Ive got a 3in body lift on mine. its got an auto too. It came on the truck when i bought it. I eventually plan on getting rid of it but ive got no complaints for the time being. I didnt have to do anything to the shifter linkage
Old 02-09-2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by SpecialScottie
Ive got a 3in body lift on mine. its got an auto too. It came on the truck when i bought it. I eventually plan on getting rid of it but ive got no complaints for the time being. I didnt have to do anything to the shifter linkage
If it was on the truck when you got it how do you know the PO didn't have to modify the linkage to get it to work?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by ccannon222
I personally have not ran V6 calipers, 1” MC and Stock 85 BB, but have been told by many people who have tried that setup that the brakes worked, but the pedal was very stiff.
My stiff pedal with this setup was ameliorated by a V6 booster. Night and day. I tried the whole gamut because I did a piece at a time.
If you go with the marlin or any other 1 inch MC you will need to change front short steel brake line with one from a 92-95 non abs PU or 4runner. Easy to find and replace.
I just rebent my stock 87 brake line to match. Maybe there is a difference between 87 and 84/85? I rebent it again when I went with the FRORF/Summit manual prop valve in place of the worthless (in a 4Runner) LSPV.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Do the taco brake boosters bolt right up to replace our 85 single diaphram boosters? I found the thread with Wabbits proportioning valve setup. That is what I am going to do to solve my proportioning valve problem. I saw this acronym, what does it stand for- MPV?
Yes, the 2wd 4cyl taco brake booster will bolt up. Make sure it is 8 ¾ in dia. Also, 90-95 2wd 4cyl pickup brake boosters will work. Again make sure it is a 8 ¾ dia booster.

Another thought, On my 85 PU I am running V6 calipers, 1 inch MC and 9 ¾ dual diaphragm brake booster from a non ABS V6 92 pickup. However I had to use a BFH to knock a huge dent in the booster so it would clear the steering u-joint. It worked for me, but I have heard from other people who’s booster did not work after taking the beating. That’s why I am going with the FJ60/ 2wd 4cyl brake booster on my 85 4runner.

Chris
Old 02-24-2010, 07:23 PM

Ok guys, I got the front tires pulled of the other day just looking at my front brakes. I GOT to have brakes like last month. I want to make sure I am straight on what I need. i may just order the Marlin Crawler kit, but I have a great discount with a local part store, so i want to at least check them out first. I am slightly confused as to the parts to get. Some say get one year of a rotor and different year of calipers. This doesn't make much sense to me.

Etype said use a 94 4Runner for calipers. Should I also use the rotors & pads for this vehicle? Will the MC for the 94 also work in this setup? If I should go with the 4 cylinder setup, I know I won't have to change the BB or MC, and that is what I am leaning towards, but I am entertaining doing the V6 calipers.
From the parts checking I have already done, it is cheaper for a 4runner than a LC/FJ. Are the parts the same for just a truck of the same year as the 4runner? Sorry to be going thru this again. i just want to make sure I got the recipe right.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:38 PM

I just went with 94 4runner calipers, because I know for sure they will be the larger ones. Makes it easier at the parts counter, get the pads for them as well.

For rotors, and 80's Landcruiser rotor will work. I believe I told the parts guy I had a 1986 Landcruiser. The 4runner rotors will not work, must be the landcruiser rotors.

The master, you can get by with the stock one, or the master from the 94 4runner. Not sure if a master from the parts store will include the resivoir, which is why I would just buy it from Marlin Crawler.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ccannon222
First thing I would do is get ride of the solid rotors. Replace them with FJ60 vented rotors. You will need to run either FJ60 Calipers, 4 cyl IFS (86-92) calipers or V6 IFS (88-95 and 93-95 4cyl) calipers. In order to run the larger “V6” calipers you will need to use a larger master cylinder, 15/16” or 1” bore. Yours is 13/16” bore. Some people have noted a stiff pedal feel with the larger bore master cylinder and stock 85 brake booster. The vehicles with the larger master cylinders came with larger dual diaphragm brake boosters (9 3/4 dia and thicker). These boosters do not fit in 85 and older solid axle Toyotas because of the larger steering u-joint. You could pickup a dual diaphragm brake booster from an FJ60 or some 2wd pickups through 1st gen tacos. These boosters are 1” smaller in diameter and will clear the u-joint.

Recap,

Easy: FJ60 rotors and FJ60 or 4cyl IFS calipers.

Harder: FJ60 rotors, V6 IFS calipers, 15/16” or 1” bore master cylinder, FJ60 or 2wd 4cyl dual diaphragm 8 ¾ dia brake booster.

As for the rear, there are disk brake kits which you will lose your e-brake and you will need to go to larger master cylinders with built in residual valves, and larger brake booster. Not worth the trouble MHO.

You could swap in an IFS rear 86-95 which comes with larger drum brakes. However this rear is 3 inches wider.

If you want to keep your stock narrow rear, you could press off the backing plates from an IFS rear and press them on your 85 axle shafts, then bolt up with the larger drums and internal brake hardware.

The overall biggest improvement you can do is get ride of the solid rotors, they suck.

Chris
Your information is not totally correct. You can use a duel diaphragm brake booster and master cylinder from a 90-95 truck or 4Runner on an 84-85 truck or 4Runner, Ive done it. and its not hard to make it work.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Etype R
I just went with 94 4runner calipers, because I know for sure they will be the larger ones. Makes it easier at the parts counter, get the pads for them as well.

For rotors, and 80's Landcruiser rotor will work. I believe I told the parts guy I had a 1986 Landcruiser. The 4runner rotors will not work, must be the landcruiser rotors.

The master, you can get by with the stock one, or the master from the 94 4runner. Not sure if a master from the parts store will include the resivoir, which is why I would just buy it from Marlin Crawler.
Well you confirmed my confusion. I think I am just going to buy the vented rotors offered for the 85. Hell that would solve the issue for me as of now anyway, and just replace the stock pads. Oreilly's offers vented rotors for an 85. So are the rotors on a mid 80's truck/4runner different from the LC or he same? Thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM

the Landcruiser rotors are larger all around. Bolt right up to the solid axle mini truck hubs though.

The V6 calipers are also larger, and work great with the Land cruiser rotors. Everything bolts right up, nothing to hard about it.

Quick Reply: 85 4 Runner