84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 22r carb getting too much AIR ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 22r carb getting too much AIR ????

Right to the point. truck does not want to idle. if i hold my hand over the primary barrel (venturi) and block some air flow it starts to purr. Help me make sense of the senseless!
Back story is that it was sitting for about 5 years. I've cleaned the tank, cleaned the fuel lines. replaced fuel filter, cleaned the carb and tried to rebuild best i could with a carb kit. made sure fuel cutoff solenoid is working. sprayed carb cleaner around hoses to make sure i have no leaks.

I've played around with the air/fuel mixture at the base of the carb (the one behind the factory plug) none of this seemed to really do anything. while i was messing around trying to get this thing to idle i noticed if i hold my hand over the primary venturi to block some air intake the engine starts to run much better like it is supposed to. otherwise i have to either manually open the throttle a little or screw in the idle screw to get it to idle to about 1200 so it wont die. I believe the primary venturi choke blade is working like it is supposed to(closed when cold/open when warm), although if i close the blade it runs better because it reduces air flow.

Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would recheck the vac hoses and the carb gasket/mounting.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
On an Aisin Carb, if it has a vacuum leak, it is hard to start and causes all kinds of problems. There is a port at the base of the carb that if the hose comes off that makes a big leak. Make sure you have all hoses connected and routed correctly.