84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

4RUNNER shell on my 85?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duel
Thanks, TOYOTA made 4Runners very well :^)
...maybe i can chop it/bob it and make it look like a tacoma quad cab...lol.
that actually might not look that bad after i thought of it...be light too
photoshop anyone?
ive seen a few like this, hmm ill try to find a link
Old 08-10-2008, 06:09 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by duel
Hi, I know there is alot more activity in this part of the forums & it pertains to you guys so:

I have the chance to buy a 2nd GEN. 4Runner shell for cheap: $100 or less...its black...and the guy says it has the mount/motor for rear wiper...all glass is there and its solid.

MY QUESTIONS: Will it fit my 85' domestic bed?
What could i fabricate to close in the open back end of the shell?
What would you pay for something like this?

oh BTW...I only need it to tote my dog around so it dosn't need to be perfect but i would like to be able to somehow secure the back end...

THANKS
It has been my observation that participants here get a lot more help from members if they ask questions once and not create multiple threads relating to the same topic or ask them in multiple places. It makes them appear impatient, immature and signifies that they haven't searched and do not wish to search. It also helps if original posters create a title that clearly and concisely illustrates the problem instead of using ambiguous pleas for help.

A 2nd gen 4Runner, 1990-1995, shell does not come off without cutting it.
A 1st gen 4Runner, 1984-89, hard top comes off.

NO IT WILL NOT FIT A PICKUP without a LOT of modification.

If you want to tote the dog, look for a used camper shell or put down a blanket in the front seat.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My inlaws neighbor has a 4runner shell on his short bed.

I'll see if I can get a pic. It looked OK, but I did not see how it was bolted on.

He had no rear window
Old 08-10-2008, 12:26 PM

Thank you Yoda & t0mwat3r...Its hard finding any pictures so i do appreciate the help. Rear window would not bother me at all cause i already have a good idea to fabricate a roll up, canvas-style, military look, soft-type cover

I am going to look at it today, even though another member said it will not fit i would still like to see the dimensions to know how close the fit is.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM

To be honest... it is my current ambition to cross the border and buy a salvaged quad cab body and shorty bed from some place like Argentina and stick it on my xtra cab frame. I hear they're plentiful.

(Note: Some assembly required.)
Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 PM

i have thought about that also, but thought with the shipping and logistics i would rather find a nexer taco cab and fab it on there, would probably be cheaper! or self fabn two cabs together, that might work
Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM

OK guys, I got the shell...for FREE!

BUT...It fits funky...it dosn't fit flush w/ the cab, the pics will be up tommorow as its night already.

Can't complain though & I can't believe how heavy it is! Took 3 of us to put it on...It does look a little hillbilly though

But I'm going to fix that gap somehow w/ a rubber gromet or something.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Out of curiosity, besides the 4-runner top being free, what's the attraction to trying to mate it to a xcab truck vs. just getting a topper that is lighter and designed to fit better. Don't you end up with the same thing?

I must be missing something.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Ok, I've been away for some time but here is the pic i promised:
Attached Thumbnails 4RUNNER shell on my 85?-camper1.jpg   4RUNNER shell on my 85?-tree1.jpg  
Old 09-14-2008, 12:49 PM

I still think you should've gotten a leer shell :/ but whatever. That's a pretty big gap between the cab and the shell.

Btw, good forum name and profile picture Duel's a great movie haha
Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by NicCantDecide
Btw, good forum name and profile picture Duel's a great movie haha
I concur.

I understand your attraction to the 4Runner look. It would look stock Toyota. But the gap is really bugging me and its not even my truck! Do you know anyone that might do custom fiberglass? Just have the front reconditioned to snug around the xtracab better.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:42 PM

Redneck XtraRunner

Sweet! I'm part way through making my own XtraRunner, but I'm welding the two cabs together. Jim already did his. You can read the post on pirate http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304626 I say kudos to you for doing your own thing! Looks like one happy puppy, too.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
could i put my 94 runner on a gen one 4runner frame??? there the same right?? what about body mounts?
Old 09-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by tygern8r
Sweet! I'm part way through making my own XtraRunner, but I'm welding the two cabs together. Jim already did his. You can read the post on pirate http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304626 I say kudos to you for doing your own thing! Looks like one happy puppy, too.
That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. Now I want one. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:57 PM

Oh don't worry about that gap guys, it bugged me from the the start but it was free and i have a plan.
I'm going to take lightweight aluminum and bolt it to the shell to fill in the bulk of the gap...(BEING SURE to keep it about 1/2-3/4 of an inch AWAY FROM the CAB) because of the rocking motion/flex bed to cab has on highway.

2. Then Im going to spray it black along w/ the reat of the shell (its pretty ratty & you can see it used to be white! Lastly, i'm going to wrap the aluminum with a nice black canvas and secure it w/ black rivets. It should fill the gap perfectly and blend in nicely since i have a black rig anyway.

It won't be watertight but it'll sure keep my best friend from getting so cold back there. and i plan to have a slider put in that way i can blast the heater back there too. (Tell me what ya'll think)
Old 09-29-2008, 06:07 PM

Oh & my username "duel" comes from the movie but thats only because i always called my rig "dual" because of her axels...i do like the movie and had a dream one night after I watched the movie!

It was a "duel" between me in my rig (dual) VERSUS that killer truck and throughout the dream I avoided him not be speed or torque (cmon 22re) but by 'Overland techniques" i would go overland for miles but then it would appear out of nowhere! the dream continued like this the whole time and it never freggin ended! I woke up and the name stuck & i was like yeah! ...

...a "duel" between that 18-wheeler gas truck and me inside "dual"

hope it made sense but it sure was a hell of dream & this was right after i bought my rig.