84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1984 vs 1985 Pickup

Old 02-01-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 vs 1985 Pickup

hey guys new to the yotatech here! I have a question im looking at 2 trucks right now. One a 1984 pickup long bed with 280k miles (mostly freeway) but is very clean and it has factory Ac. My worry is the 22r motor might be on its last leg. The other truck is a 1985 pickup with 128k miles rebuilt engine. But the body has seen its better day and need some work . And has no factory Ac. The 84 is 1k more than the 85.
Will the 22r last much more? Or should I go with the 22re with less miles but way more work to get it a nice DD. Thanks for any input!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
That's a fairly open ended question. Do you have any fab or mechanical skills? Are you planning on doing most of the work on the truck yourself or paying someone. What condition are frames in, rusted out? What's rough on the body. Fenders or bed? Both can be fairly easily replaced. Cab rust has to be cut and fabed in. More work but doable.

Motor rebuilds aren't that hard if you have time and a clean space to do it.

If you are buying this to be a daily driver I would have it checked by an mechanic that knows these trucks at a minimum. Most people find when they buy a 30+ year old rig they need at least $1000 put in to them in short order to get them up to the bulletproof reliable reputation they have. Problem with bulletproof trucks is people forget to do maintenance on them.

What's your budget and what are your needs and expectations for this truck.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
That's a fairly open ended question. Do you have any fab or mechanical skills? Are you planning on doing most of the work on the truck yourself or paying someone. What condition are frames in, rusted out? What's rough on the body. Fenders or bed? Both can be fairly easily replaced. Cab rust has to be cut and fabed in. More work but doable.

Motor rebuilds aren't that hard if you have time and a clean space to do it.

If you are buying this to be a daily driver I would have it checked by an mechanic that knows these trucks at a minimum. Most people find when they buy a 30+ year old rig they need at least $1000 put in to them in short order to get them up to the bulletproof reliable reputation they have. Problem with bulletproof trucks is people forget to do maintenance on them.

What's your budget and what are your needs and expectations for this truck.
Sorry for the bad question. I'm currently in school for welding. But I have some mechanical skills.

All the repairs I'd do or at least give it a shot.l live in California so rust isn't much of an issue but I did check the 85 and the frame looks really good. But the body has some rust in the A pillar doesn't look that bad. But the bed has some damage. Also doesn't have Ac but I have seen some posts doing Ac swaps but I called around it's about $ 450 for a 89 complete Ac system but id have to convert it over. But the interior is in amazing shape. And that truck cost 3000.

The 84 just seems nice as a daily driver because it has factory Ac. But has more than double the miles. But I'm sure I'd have to replace some parts because of 30+ years of wear. Also it's a long bed. But I'm just worried about the engine with 280k miles. But the truck looks around in better shape. Also has very nice interior The seller is asking 4200. But I'm sure I can get him down.

I'm wanting a reliable truck for daily use but I can take out and go camping for a weekend. And I'm in love the that 2nd gen body style. And my budget is about 4500.

Last edited by Jhot; 02-01-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Depends on value to you. Both are a gamble. I wouldn't invest too much in idea of rebuilt same as factory if you don't know engine builder. Some cut corners in parts or engine work, or break in, or maintenance.... the whole bullet proof reliability kinda goes out the window with a 30 plus y/o truck, unless you do a ground up rebuild. Things are always coming up.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Will the person selling the 84 allow you to do a compression and leak down test?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Are both stock?? I'd feel more comfortable buying stock over an unknown build.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:52 PM

I'll ask tomorrow about taking it to a shop
and yes trucks both are completely stock.
Originally Posted by muddpigg
Are both stock?? I'd feel more comfortable buying stock over an unknown build.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
They are both ancient. Either one is gonna be a crapshoot mechanically
Old 02-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It is a gamble either way you go. If you are just after a mechanically sound truck, they are 30 years old and most likely going to need plenty of work. There is a reason that there all kinds of questions on the main page or look at the number of build threads on these trucks. They are great trucks but without a lot of work to over come the years of neglect or what age does to them, I would first look at what your skills are to get one to where you want it to be.

The one that is for $4200 and then only having $300 to work with would really have me concerned. $300 just for the mechanical part is not leaving you much room. Tires and fluid changes are going to eat that up. You can just about buy a motor over rebuilding one for about the same price.

In my experience, you can rebuild a junk truck for about the same price as a nice truck. Just depends on how far you want to go with it and the condition it is in. I have been into too many nice trucks to see they get expensive to get fixed. Fluids, clutch, motor, brake, steering work cost the same for a junk truck or a nice truck. They are 30 yer old trucks and you really need to start at one end and work your way to the other end to get them in solid shape.

Search this Thread