Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

What would YotaTech do.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would YotaTech do.

OK guys and gals, After taking my 83 LB on its first serious journey I have decided it needs a few upgrades.

First is the manual steering sucks! I know I will need to do a crossover kit on this in the near future. Question is, Can I run a IFS power steering box and just fill and cap it until I am ready to add a pump? or are all the IFS box's already power steering?

second is lift. there are so many options out there. I know I can go to allpro or similar and spend a butt ton of money but I know there may be better or equal options for less money. One think I want is smooth. The truck almost beat me to death on rough dirt roads with the suspension that is on it. it literally would bounce me out of the seat sometimes no mild washboards at 10mph.

SO if you guys speak, i'll listen. i'll build what TOytaTech deems is the best options for my rig.

my rigs use will be mostly overland type stuff and driving around fire roads in forests. id like good highway manners also. I plan on running 33" tires for now but may step up to 35" in the future if I do an engine swap down the road. ​​​​​​​

Old 12-06-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one here can help me out?

Originally Posted by dubs chops
ok guys and gals, after taking my 83 lb on its first serious journey i have decided it needs a few upgrades.

First is the manual steering sucks! I know i will need to do a crossover kit on this in the near future. Question is, can i run a ifs power steering box and just fill and cap it until i am ready to add a pump? Or are all the ifs box's already power steering?

Second is lift. There are so many options out there. I know i can go to allpro or similar and spend a butt ton of money but i know there may be better or equal options for less money. One think i want is smooth. The truck almost beat me to death on rough dirt roads with the suspension that is on it. It literally would bounce me out of the seat sometimes no mild washboards at 10mph.

So if you guys speak, i'll listen. I'll build what toytatech deems is the best options for my rig.

My rigs use will be mostly overland type stuff and driving around fire roads in forests. Id like good highway manners also. I plan on running 33" tires for now but may step up to 35" in the future if i do an engine swap down the road.
​​​​​​​
Old 12-07-2018, 04:48 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
I would wait until you have all the parts to rebuild the front end and do all at once. Running the steering box with out the pump might damage it, just my guess

I chose OME springs and shocker for my build. Not on the road yet, but a lot of people recommended them. I’m sure there are other systems. To run 33’s or 35’s, you’ll probably going to need to change the rear end gearing and body lift

Last edited by Lons81; 12-07-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
I agree with Lons, do it right=do it once