Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

westjohns possible beater, 83 dlx 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Guy on here selling lots of stuff.. Not sure if he's got any your year PU stuff's..but may be worth a try. AKZEP69 is his name.... not sure how I remembered that in my mental state lately... Just odd! hahaha. I hit him up for some stuff... He's gotta call it quits on the requests before he moves from Alaska ..... maybe tomorrow? Anyway, LOOKS GOOD, MAN! Nice work on the light.... Interior isn't half bad at all! Remember the 'bed hunt' a bit back..... just feel bad for ya that you can't dig that stuff up without it having tons of rust/bondo, etc.... But hey, that's not a bad lil bucket, man! Any pics of the motor coming soon? Should we guess? lol..... JK... I'll wait.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
What REALLY matters is the front axle(need a rebuild done right? add another ???) ..... Then Trans(solid? If not, add another ????? ) ...... T-case(solid? If not, .....) Rear end? Brakes? .... This could quickly turn into a 3K$ beater, Josh... I tear them down quite a bit if they'll let me,... and if things are in question after test driving/close as possible inspection, and THEY WONT let me tear in a lil bit? NOPE, sorry.

Could be fine... Personally, I'd rather spend 3500$ on a fairly clean one that's been gone through front to back not to far back in time... Something not leaking a drop, something that doesn't smoke... Something that doesn't have CARB/EFI issues... Interior look like 2 dogs had a fight to the death in there and then the winner ate the other one.. then stayed stuck in there for 6 days? Yeah, that stuff! hahaha. ALMOST bought that 85 4Runner, remember? (, pretty cherry, but no motor no trans NO ECU OR HARNESS....and no shell) ... for 800$..... Everything else seemed solid... But when I added it all up, even REALLY piecing things together cheap as possible... I was looking at around 4K$ when fully done and adding everything back if I started with a fresh motor and at least decent trans, clutch, flywheel, sensors, AFM, Shell, ECU, wiring....etc. If it was just a blown motor or no motor w/trans, ECU and harness still in tact, etc.,... sure, I'd pay 1500$ for that... But the rest would have to check out as at least ready to roll, ya know?

NO MORE BASKET CASES for me! hahaha.

Just weigh it all out, Josh..... You'll figure it out.
I hear you there, My girl and I bought a rust bucket (87 pickup) with a lift for 2200$, interior shot, windows dont roll, one thing after another, we are going to salvage what we can, but never again, I sat down and wrote out a check list, yes take your time, check em out well and ask all pertanent questions and dont expect honest answers. Hi by the way new here
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mark, i checked him out the other day, hes only got first gen 4runner stuff, no pickemup stuff sadly, ill grab a shot of my before and after of the garage today, and rubron, sorry to hear its a rust bucket, im sure anything can be fixable, give it some time and youll be in love, i started out with an 87 pickup, bought for 700 needing a motor and everything else, had alot of cash in it but i enjoyed the hell out of it! wish i had never sold it truth be told
Old 08-30-2012, 07:53 AM

and mark also, im trying to pull the motor today but the weather really has me guessing, still dealing with the hurricane crap louisana got but we got the good tail rain, it cant go in the garage because then my picker goes up too far and will hit the ceiling, might have to wait a few days so the rain clears up
Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 AM

guys, the top two trans/motor bolts, how do you get them out??? ive tried everything....
Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 PM

hey yall! looks what i did!

engine came out after some "gentle" persauation, the two top trans bolts were a PITA!!!!, def needs a power washing which ill do tommorow

thinking of takeing the trans and tcase out for a few reasons.
1, it needs a major cleaning
2, i can replace shifter bushing, and u joints easier
3, i need to move the truck to the backyard but the trans i going to fall, maybe a 4x4 between the front leafs to support it if i dont?

also got a exhuast manifold off, what an oily mess. and i think the #1 spark plug hole is stripped

tommorow im going to start takeing the intake manfold off, valve cover, and then flip it over for the oil pan, very interested to see what lies within
heres a pic of the exhuast manifold off in my clean garage too! forgot more before and after pics, ill grab them tommorow!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 PM

Wow, great work, man! Sorry, I could have saved you time on that top two bolts drama.... couple trix... but it's done, so we'll save it for later, haha.

WOW, what an oily bastage! haha. What was that almost heart shaped gasketed thing in the first pic? I had an 83 and don't remember having that.... It's going AROUND the exhaust and you've removed the nuts on whatever it was.. TELL ME! hahaha.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 PM

haha mark its the orginal heat sheild, it still has it and its NOT rusted out amazingly, shoot this truck still has the orginal spare, and dealership papers, as well as the orginal exhuast with no rust holes! going paint the mnaifold and clean the sheild with a bead blaster possibly, also might convert it to power steering? need to look into that, next few days my buddy who works at a diesel rig shop is brining over his impact (mines to small) to get the harmonic balencer and fly wheel bolts out
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Looks like we are in the same boat. Just pulled my engine and tranny out. Lots of clean up and paint in our future :-) Same here on the #1 plug :-(

Last edited by Lons81; 08-31-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:51 AM

yeah im not sure why the number one plug always seem to either strip or cross thread on them, i think mines cross threaded so ill have to have it rethreded at the head shop when it finally goes
Old 08-31-2012, 09:56 AM

well guys, intake manifolds off, egr, vaccumins lines, valve cover, and oil pan, not a broke rod or spun bearing, also, dual row timing chain! going to pull the head before i go to work hopefully, ill shed some light on why this thing runs like crap, might get a rebuild kit for the carb while im at it,, def need to power wash the block, its discusting
Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM

Nice work! Yeah, I thought I remembered those being a bit different on the earlier 22R.... Nice work on the rest!

Sorry bout the plug... It's often ''always something'' oxy morons pop up, right? lol.

Get a new VC gasket with half moons kit... It comes with new grommet washers for the mounting bolts on top, too. CHEAP, and should stop some of the leaking, unless that's just massive blowby pouring out the exhaust gaskets and dripping down? Anyway... you're hitting it fast, ...... again, "Nice Work!"

Take care, Josh

PS> I think I freed the harmonic to crank pulley 4 bolts by sliding an angled pickle fork into my vice, then through the slots with the harmonic running perpendicular to the vice grabs, then 'bink' with a BFH and deep impact socket..... I was too worried that my impact would round em out when I saw how tight they were frozen on there. It worked... The last one rounded off a lil bit, even doing it that way.... so replaced it with a donor on a trip to the yard to pick up something else.. Slapped the new Harmonic on and tightened it the same way I got it off. It took a lil finagling to keep the pickle fork in the slots/but once I got some pressure against that, POP, they started breaking free. Yeah, that was not so fun, lol.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:01 AM

thanks mark! def onna buy a whole gasket set for the truck!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:39 AM

Haven't done much lately, first day off in awhile so gonna try and get that head off tonight
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM

ok guys this ones got me, pulled the head off tonight and whatda know, headgaskets fine, lot of carbon on top of piston and valves, turned the cam over, valves are fine, everything works, so im narrowing it down, cracked head, (shuld still have some compression right?) bad rings? (same thing, some compression right?) or maybe both, im kinda debateing on bad rings because of the carbon depositions which means oil is getting in there, either way i guess i might as well re ring, near bearings, and head job i guess
Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Depends on how much carbon you're talking about. You WANT a nice even coat of carbon for the most part. Any clean spots means coolant is washing them.... which isn't good.

Re-ring, find a head minus rockers that's ready2go(or swap all your goodies to a good head, AFTER making sure this one is cracked of course? )

The kits are so reasonable... but I get it, you don't wanna fully rebuild it if you don't have to... save the cabbage for other stuff. Wow, totally up to you obviously, so let us know which route you take

I pulled off a full head and bottom end rebuild(swapping over the cam and pistons from the recent 20over) with all new valves, guides, seals and dual row Eski springs/ Rings, bearings, machining a new to me short block and crank turning to 10/10 w/a polish for under 700$. Course, I did lots of the work and helped him out a lil...... BUT, still.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 PM

mark id love to do a full rebuild but cost for me is limited, the top ring wear isnt bad, and the carbon is only on the number one cylinder, i guess pics would help, ill take some tommorow before work and throw them on here, the piston and valves on the number one cylinder has chuncks, (literally about a quarter inch tall) chucks on top of the valves and piston, the other 3 cylinders are fine, normal cabron on top, no washing etc, so im debateing the rings are bad allowing oil to seep, then again back to my org question, shouldnt there be some compression instead of 0? also pulled the timing chain tonight and saw no broken guides but a bad tenionr, ill replace, and the chain has hardly Any slack so ill prob keep it since its fine, alot of people call me crazy for it but the way i see it if its still tight now why bother? if it breaks ill fix it again, i like working on my truck more then i do driving it if thats makes sense, bed guys, pics tommorow!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 AM

anybody have suggestions?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:05 PM

RE-RING/ Clean up the head(or swap stuff's to known good one)/ have the crank turned and slap in the bearings according to turn and call it a day. PERSONALLY, I think you're just going to leak down past the valves and coat those valves and pistons/rings again within no time... So maybe a set of Viton seals from engnbldr as well... ? Id also likely have the rockers hand lapped at least and then maybe SPLURGE and slap in a 261 CAM? New adjuster screws are pretty cheap from LCE as well. You know, like a 'RECONDITIONING' to get her through another 40-50K or so? If the cam looks nice like you said, MEH, leave it, just maybe take a good look at the rocker pads? But the adjusters... you can see if they're wearing 'odd' .... And starting fresh with those can help a bit.

Rings(just get the TINIEST thousandths upsize, Hastings-USA had many to choose from)/Crank Turn/Bearings/Swap over goodies to donor head(IF YOURS IS FUGGERED)/new Viton Seals/Lap Rockers and maybe valve tops if needed by a thousandth or two?/Adjuster screws if you do the former<<<</..... HG/Slap together and call it "The Black Knight"! hehe. At least then you've only lost out(only IF it doesn't last too long) on a couple hundy? COULD do a quick hone on the block while you have the crank and such dropped?... measure up and ready for THE RIGHT rings?).....

If you have to take that head apart(crack, etc.).... You should be able to polish up the valves a bit and maybe shave the tops with a polish? They gotta seat right, ya know? And you'd want new seals, period. CHEAP AND VERY worth while lil investment, right? Could maybe even find a head minus rocker assembly for pretty cheap, right? Just clean it up, reseal it and have it surfaced and call it 'good'2'go', yeah? Just check valve spring tension, etc., you know, the things that could fail ya or work your CAM/Rockers fast..... Those rockers are GOLD, OEM orig's., if they're not FUBAR, Josh,.... so try to get those lil things that have 'THE MOST TO DO WITH THINGS 'FLOWING' SMOOTHLY in there, right, the first time, yeah?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Mark I really have to say I think your right , have it honed, check the head then have everything replaced, rings, bearings pistons, gaskets. Timing chain and everything. That way I know I have something that's gonna last, guess I need to get part shopping , I like Ted at engblder, I just don't like that rock head gasket, maybe I can work something without a headgasket and go Toyota oem and call it a day, and I love the black knight!!!

Quick Reply: westjohns possible beater, 83 dlx 4wd