Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Typical Alternator Charging Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typical Alternator Charging Issues

Trying to diagnose a non-charging alternator. Only getting 12.5 volts at the alternator. However, after trying to get the alternator out I noticed that at some point I lost the bottom pivot bolt. Not sure if this is causing the belt to slip, but figure I need to replace the bolt before going to replace the alternator. Does anyone know the specifics on this bolt? Diameter, length, is it a bolt and nut combination?
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If you have a 22r, the lower alternator bolt is very long (about 4-5") and clamps with a nut. I don't know about a 20r's setup but probably similar.

​​​It's absolutely necessary to have the bolt in place for correct belt tension. I don't know the bolt's size, but it's a very high grade to resist snapping and is unthreaded where it sits in the alternator sleeve. Very unlikely you'll find a good match in a store. Go to a dealer for it.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. That helps a lot. I checked and the parts stores do sell a generic metric alternator bolt that is a little over 4" in length. I may try that while I try to find a direct replacement from the dealership.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't crank down on that generic bolt and nut too much. Depending on how much your belt has slipped already you might need a new one or at least a little belt dressing.