Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Transfer case mount replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case mount replacement

Can replacing the transfer case MOUNT be done without removing the cross member in an 83 Toyota Pickup? Because when I started to loosen the cross member bolts they spun (maybe broken captive nut in frame??). The frame is boxed in and no way to access inside.

If it can be done, what’s the best order of operations as far as what to do in what order. I’ve removed the 4 bolts holding the bottom of the mount to the cross member. Not sure if I can jack the transfer case up enough to get the mount out though. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
I've been fooling around with RF1A transfer case mounts lately, and I think it should be possible, provided you can get the two mount to case bolts out on the passenger side.

Access to them is restricted by the front drop and front driveshaft. That's gonna be the hardest part.

The driver side mount to case bolts should be easy, and you shouldn't have to raise the tranny much to slide the mount out.

Let us know how you do. Good luck
Old 09-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply millball.

I think I might just be able to get to the passenger side bolts. We’ll see and I’ll post results.

I was wondering about the big center bolt in the mount. I’ve never had to replace this style of transmission mount. Is the nut on the big center bolt only supposed to thread on just so far (not all the way tight)? Since the “head” of that bolt is just a round flange it has me confused on its purpose (besides to keep the upper and lower metal plates of the mount aligned). And no need to remove that bolt right when installing?
Old 09-12-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by NSMc
Thanks for the reply millball.

I think I might just be able to get to the passenger side bolts. We’ll see and I’ll post results.

I was wondering about the big center bolt in the mount. I’ve never had to replace this style of transmission mount. Is the nut on the big center bolt only supposed to thread on just so far (not all the way tight)? Since the “head” of that bolt is just a round flange it has me confused on its purpose (besides to keep the upper and lower metal plates of the mount aligned). And no need to remove that bolt right when installing?
That large center bolt is just to limit the motion of the tranny and t. case if the rubber mountings let go. It is supposed to be somewhat loose.

You should not have to remove it to change out the mount, but you will have to raise the case enough for the bottom plate to clear the crossmember.