Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Smogging a de-smogged '83

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smogging a de-smogged '83

Hey guys, I picked up a de-smogged '83 in good shape a couple years ago. It has a 22R with a Weber 32/36 and no smog equipment. I lived in a county that required inspection at the time but they didn't do a visual beyond checking for a cat. I had a plan to move forward and make it legal so I wasn't worried. Fast forward to present day and I live in California where I have similar smog rules but also a visual inspection. Not only do I have to pass but I also need all the components for the vehicle in place.

So I have a couple options:
1. Find all the smog equipment and hook it up. This includes (but is not limited to) egr, evap equipment, charcoal canister, cat, that stupid emissions only ecu thing, blah blah blah...
2. Engine swap. It seems like a lot of us CA guys wind up with the 3RZ swap for mo power less smog. It can be done legally (Marlin Crawler write up, "Clampy") and as far as swaps go it seems relatively straight forward and affordable. I like the idea of the swap, especially since the 22r isn't a powerhouse (although I do like it). I would start by checking with one of the CA BAR refs just to see what they advise and then rely on Marlin Crawler's resources for tech.

Here is my question: is assembling the factory smog equipment as difficult as I think? Are there a bunch of de-smogged dudes in Arizona with all this stuff collecting dust in their shops? Or by the time I do that and pass smog would I be happier with the swap? I don't plan to wheel this hard (camping, trails etc.) but I live between LA and SD where there are tons of great mountains and fast highways so the power of the 3RZ is appealing.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Good luck is all I have to say really. Have known some people who've bought out of state or de-smogged vehicles, only to find out they'd need it for CA smog - they all ended up giving up and selling the vehicle, lol

As for your 3rz swap - I'd do it in a heartbeat, my 22re leaves a lot to be desired and my inlaws' 98 Tacoma with the 3rz could run circles around my truck, lol. Only problem I see with the 3rz swap is that it's now an older engine and the vehicles they're in still demand a nice chunk of $ on the used market, I don't think I've EVER seen a running Tacoma with an asking price less than $3k in CA. For that reason alone I've looked toward a 1uz swap because you can pickup an old good-running Lexus for like $800-1200 in most cities in CA.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Yeah my buddy has a 3rz in his Taco and it really is head and shoulders over the 22r. I think that is the obvious choice if I can find something remotely affordable.
Funny you mention the 1uz, my coworker has an LS400 sitting in his yard that he said I could use for a complete swap (motor, wiring, gauges, cats, fuel lines and all). I was on board until I realized CA requires the ecu to read that the motor is from a 4wd vehicle... maybe there is a way I can work around that but I doubt it. It would be a fun swap though and suuuuper cheap.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The 3rz swap will not be as cheap as you think, especially if the donor motor needs any work done. Im working on one now.

That said, I will be pulling the 22r from my 83 which was originally a CA truck and has the factory smog setup intact (with exception of one broken vacuum switch). I can’t imagine anyone here in az will want an air pump etc, so I will likely have most or all the parts you need available soonish.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by 111db
The 3rz swap will not be as cheap as you think, especially if the donor motor needs any work done. Im working on one now.

That said, I will be pulling the 22r from my 83 which was originally a CA truck and has the factory smog setup intact (with exception of one broken vacuum switch). I can’t imagine anyone here in az will want an air pump etc, so I will likely have most or all the parts you need available soonish.
I'll get whatever I can off that motor if you're willing... pm me
Old 01-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by thedrewski86
I was on board until I realized CA requires the ecu to read that the motor is from a 4wd vehicle...
New law? I haven't heard this one yet, but I don't doubt it. I was always certain you could do engine swaps between 4wd and 2wd, but the issue might be if the ECU throws a check light from a non-matching transmission, etc. There are a lot of people out there with 1uz swaps, so somehow it's getting approved. Check with a smog referee to be sure.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
New law? I haven't heard this one yet, but I don't doubt it. I was always certain you could do engine swaps between 4wd and 2wd, but the issue might be if the ECU throws a check light from a non-matching transmission, etc. There are a lot of people out there with 1uz swaps, so somehow it's getting approved. Check with a smog referee to be sure.
Maybe not specifically but I believe it is as you mentioned an issue with the ECU not getting signal from the trans then throwing a MIL. There's a thread about 10 miles long over on Pirate about it and the consensus seems to be you can't smog a 1uz in a manual trans 4x4 p/u in California. That's very unfortunate because right now the 1uz would be my cheapest and quickest option but oh well, I got rules to follow.