Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

to rebuild or not to rebuild? (22-r)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to rebuild or not to rebuild? (22-r)

alright guys i need help. I'm new to this hole forum idea and well new to just abut every thing with engines.

I picked up a 1982 2wd sr5 pick up with a blown head gasket (due to an over heat) the truck has 200000+miles on the engine (22-r). i paid 400$ for the truck figured it would be a fun prodject.

well i pulled the exhaust manifold, carb, intake manifold, rocker cover, rockers, camshaft (by accident), and then the head. cleaned all my gasket surfaces (I didn't bother having anything milled its a 400$ truck) put my new head gasket on and started putting every thing back together. I used new head bolts for a 22-re (they were 80$ cheaper),new intake gasket, new fuel pump,rebuilt the carb, put a new timing chain guides ect on, new clutch, new belts, new battery, new plugs/wires, oil, and was finally ready to start the truck (that ran before i took it apart). i primed the carb hit it with starter fluid and cranked it. the truck didn't start. i have spark i have fuel getting to the carb so i tested completion. my compression was supper low (between 80-90 on all 4 cylinders dry test) but jumped to 125 wet test. so i figure its my piston rings right?

so my question is, should i go to all the work to take apart the engine and put new pistons and bearings in,swap the engine, or cut my losses and scrap the truck? i don't plan to keep the truck i plan to sell it any thoughts would be truly appreciated.

thanks guys
Old 04-11-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I got my '84 in similar condition for the same price. It has run very well ever since.

My first question is - did you (or a machine shop) check to see if the head was warped?
Also, did you do the compression test with throttle open or closed?
Old 04-11-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMaxfield
alright guys i need help. I'm new to this hole forum idea and well new to just abut every thing with engines.

I picked up a 1982 2wd sr5 pick up with a blown head gasket (due to an over heat) the truck has 200000+miles on the engine (22-r). i paid 400$ for the truck figured it would be a fun prodject.

well i pulled the exhaust manifold, carb, intake manifold, rocker cover, rockers, camshaft (by accident), and then the head. cleaned all my gasket surfaces (I didn't bother having anything milled its a 400$ truck) put my new head gasket on and started putting every thing back together. I used new head bolts for a 22-re (they were 80$ cheaper),new intake gasket, new fuel pump,rebuilt the carb, put a new timing chain guides ect on, new clutch, new belts, new battery, new plugs/wires, oil, and was finally ready to start the truck (that ran before i took it apart). i primed the carb hit it with starter fluid and cranked it. the truck didn't start. i have spark i have fuel getting to the carb so i tested completion. my compression was supper low (between 80-90 on all 4 cylinders dry test) but jumped to 125 wet test. so i figure its my piston rings right?

so my question is, should i go to all the work to take apart the engine and put new pistons and bearings in,swap the engine, or cut my losses and scrap the truck? i don't plan to keep the truck i plan to sell it any thoughts would be truly appreciated.

thanks guys
If you plan to sell, don't spend another nickel. You should be able to make it run plenty well enough to sell as is, if your work so far has been good.
It amuses me to see folks buy dirt cheap wrecks, that they know full well have run near a quarter million miles, and been abused besides; and then they expect to sprinkle a couple hundred $$ in 'fairy dust' on them and flip them for major profit.
Only a very select few people are interested in 2wd trucks of that age. Even a completely rustfree and bondo free good running example is only worth about 15-18 hundred here in the southwest where I am.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my timing ended up being 180 degrees off, this explains my low compression and my no start. I still put some Engine Restore in my oil, the internet seams to agree that the worst thing it can do is nothing and well for 6.00$ I'm taking the shot to see what it dose. thank you for your help guys.