Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

no power to coil

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no power to coil

I gotta 1983 toyota pickup 4x4 thats not getting any spark. I stuck a screwdriver in the outlet of the coil and had somebody turn it over, didn't get any spark so I replaced the coil and the truck still won't fire up. I also noticed the lights on the dash didn't light up. I bought the truck and the parking brake light was always on (even though the brake wasn't on) and it no longer lights up, also one headlight did work and the high beam light in the dash worked but that no longer works either. The only thing that seems to be getting power is the starter and the windshield wipers

Last edited by B.A.C; 12-02-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Check fuses and grounds, get a test light and/or a volt meter and start checking to see what fuses are powered and what is not. Headlights work even without the key so you probably blew a fuse or a fusible link.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:28 AM

Are there any fuse locations other than the one under the dash on the drivers side? I checked all the fuses in that panel and they’re all good but I need to take a meter and see what’s getting power. Any other locations I shoulda check?
Old 12-03-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
I'm not sure on the 83 but there should be a fuse block under the hood also and fusible link/links connecting the battery to that block
Old 12-03-2017, 03:15 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
There are no fuses protecting the ignition, only one of the main fuse links at the battery. There are no fuses under the hood. It seems all your problems are centred on the wiring to and in the steering column. If I recall correctly there are some connectors in the steering column and behind the combo meter, these may be loose and may be the cause of it all.. Any indication that rats or mice have been chewing on stuff?

There is a 'Sticky' at the beginning of this forum were you can get an E copy of the FSM. It gives more instructions on trouble-shooting so you'll fix the right thing first rather then just throwing parts at it hoping to hit the problem.

Electrical problems are usually difficult to diagnose but easy to fix...the opposite of mechanical problems, so stick to it, it'll probably be something simple. Make a list of everything that works and doesn't. Then trace the stuff that doesn't work back and you'll find a common element to them all and check for power there.

Last edited by Old83@pincher; 12-03-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Is the coil/ignitor new? I had the same problem on my '81 and it turned out to be the coil ignitor was bad resulting in no spark/no start. It wasn't a cheap fix as new coil/ignitors are pricey.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 AM

I replaced the ignition coil but not the ignition control module that mounts under it. Really hoping thats not it cause like you said, they aint cheap!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:50 AM

is there anyway to test the icm under the coil? I've done some poking around with a multimeter and all the wiring in the cab and to the ignition in the steering column seem to be fine.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
If you have the FSM there are instructions in there...however, if you have power to the igniter box (check at the connectors) and there is a circuit thru the pick-up coil in the distributor, it is likely the igniter box is fried. Check the gap between the rotor and pick-up coil in the distributor. .030" seems to stick in my head. Mine was $400CDN from the dealer, I thought Rockauto has them for about $100 -$150USD.

I thought from your description that just about every thing electrical didn't work? You said at first that there was power only to the starter and wipers which would point to a different problem. Have things changed?