Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

New Door Glass

Old 09-17-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
New Door Glass

Does anyone have a source for where to get new door glass for these trucks? I checked the usual spots like Rock Auto but "out of stock" is all I am coming up with.

I am looking to replace main glass in both doors and I have the vent window.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have a source for specific parts, but any glass shop should be able cut what you need if you have a template or the old window.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
^ no .. glass shop just cant build and forum tempered curved glass .

have you considered fixing the old ones ? sanding an polishing is very possible

Last edited by slacker; 09-19-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
^ no .. glass shop just cant build and forum tempered curved glass .

have you considered fixing the old ones ? sanding an polishing is very possible
I really should look at that as an option. Basically the glass is totally intact but has lots of scratches...if I get them tinted I think the scratches will be even more evident. What products have you used?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm waiting for a first gen to come on the lot at my local junk yard. They are just waiting on more room. I plan to snatch the doors. If the glass is good I'll check back with you. I plan to make half doors out of them so no need for glass.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a full set of first gen 4x4 door glass with wing windows that I really don't need.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by warmonger88
I have a full set of first gen 4x4 door glass with wing windows that I really don't need.

has anyone on here successfully removed deep scratches to door glass. Mine has some pretty good lines. It kills me to replace as these are laser etched factory glass. And the 2 years old new windshield already looks worse than the factory 2003 did when it replaced it on my other truck

i have been looking around on line with not much luck
Old 11-04-2017, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by warmonger88
Yeah...I've still got the original set. Was looking to see if I could get new glass so due to some scratching on originals. Since everything else on the truck is new it kills me to put old, scratched glass back in.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1980 Pinellas
has anyone on here successfully removed deep scratches to door glass. Mine has some pretty good lines. It kills me to replace as these are laser etched factory glass. And the 2 years old new windshield already looks worse than the factory 2003 did when it replaced it on my other truck

i have been looking around on line with not much luck
I Installed Auto Glass for 19 years. The answer is no. Deep scratches the kind you can feel with your finger nail equal replace. Light scuffs can sometimes be buffed out with a special buffing wheel and cerium oxide glass polishing powder but only on light scuffs and only Sometimes with very Little success.. The area being buffed also must not get too hot or the glass will break. Distortion is also a factor when buffing.....Most of the time buffing light scuffs isn't worth the time either.

As far as finding a new left and right door Glass check your local auto glass shop to see if any of their suppliers have them as they can do a computer search nationwide for availability...Another avenue would be to look online for glass suppliers that deal with obsolete auto glass parts... I have seen a few new door glasses for our trucks listed on ebay from time to time as well.....Searching for the specific auto glass part number can also help such as FW397 would be the part number for the windshield. FW being for Foreign Windshield and 397 being the part number... and If I Remember correctly, the passenger door part number is FD 2132 and the driver door I would have to dig around for the part number but any Auto glass shop can provide the part numbers too....hope this helps...... Also a good Idea to replace those window felts and clean them after four wheeling before rolling them up or down.

Last edited by Big Little Bear; 11-24-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Big Little Bear
I Installed Auto Glass for 19 years. The answer is no. Deep scratches the kind you can feel with your finger nail equal replace. Light scuffs can sometimes be buffed out with a special buffing wheel and cerium oxide glass polishing powder but only on light scuffs and only Sometimes with very Little success.. The area being buffed also must not get too hot or the glass will break. Distortion is also a factor when buffing.....Most of the time buffing light scuffs isn't worth the time either.

As far as finding a new left and right door Glass check your local auto glass shop to see if any of their suppliers have them as they can do a computer search nationwide for availability...Another avenue would be to look online for glass suppliers that deal with obsolete auto glass parts... I have seen a few new door glasses for our trucks listed on ebay from time to time as well.....Searching for the specific auto glass part number can also help such as FW397 would be the part number for the windshield. FW being for Foreign Windshield and 397 being the part number... and If I Remember correctly, the passenger door part number is FD 2132 and the driver door I would have to dig around for the part number but any Auto glass shop can provide the part numbers too....hope this helps...... Also a good Idea to replace those window felts and clean them after four wheeling before rolling them up or down.
thank you sir ! Happy holidays to you
Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 PM

These guys (https://www.vintageglass.com ) are sending me new OEM glass for both doors on my '82. Once they arrive I'll let you know how they are.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:10 PM

So my glass came in...new OEM glass for both doors (1982 4x4) from www.vintageglass.com $95/ea.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
that is a pretty good deal!
Old 12-16-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Sweet!

And the window glass is actually new (or NOS)? That makes it even better!

Old 12-17-2017, 10:56 AM

Both door glass pieces installed....now I just need to order a driver's side vent glass...good thing you can still get them from Toyota Overstock!
Attached Thumbnails New Door Glass-new-door-glass.jpg  
Old 12-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
That's an amazing price for new glass. Love your pickup!
Old 12-18-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
That's an amazing price for new glass. Love your pickup!
Thanks! It's almost "done". Hope to have it complete for Spring.

Search this Thread