Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Jam Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jam Nuts

I'm one nut away from finishing my front axle rebuild and putting my tires back on...

Does anyone know where I can find a damn JAM NUT. It's like looking for the holy grail with this stupid thing. I had to cut the old one off, thinking the replacement tie rod end would come with one...sure sure but it does not. I bought the Moog ES2376, which according to the website has the rod thread specs of M17-1.5L. I've searched everywhere online for a Jam Nut with this thread spec and can't find anything. Even sites where you can get bulk nuts seem to skip right over the M17 category completely. WTF

Can anyone help me out on this??
Attached Thumbnails Jam Nuts-tie-rod-end-specs.jpg  
Old 12-18-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What thread are the Toyota ones ??

You can buy those nuts from your dealer .

I keep those on Hand for just this reason
Old 12-18-2017, 01:12 PM

Has to be the same thread as the original since the tie rod end is a replacement....so M17 x 1.5L. I'll try to calling a Toyota dealer, but i don't normally have luck with them either, unless I get ahold of an older tech. Any idea what the part number would be for the Jam Nut - or how would I specify to the dealer the nut i'm talking about? My truck is a 1980 pickup.

Out of curiosity why is M17 is such a rare odditly in the world of Fasteners? I've found sites online which literally have every diameter until 9, 13 and 17...
I found these, but no Left Thread equivalent. Fastenal - also almost has it.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:25 PM

Maybe a clamp can be used as a replacement? Anybody ever gone that route?

If so does it just clamp next to the rod over the threads?
Old 12-18-2017, 03:05 PM

No luck with the dealership as expected. If they don't have a part number they have just about as good a chance as me, and seeing how there doesn't seem to be a part number....i digress.
Guess YotaYard or Yota Jims is my next option. Unless you want to part with one??

Anybody else have trouble/solutions with this elusive nut?? Ideas?? I'm close to just going without it since i have one on the other side? Not the safest bet but maybe the only option since this is an extinct bolt.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Tangerine
Maybe a clamp can be used as a replacement? Anybody ever gone that route?

If so does it just clamp next to the rod over the threads?
It looks like the clamp was the factory setup, at least from the factory diagram.

Do you see slots in the center rod where the rod could clamp down on the new tie rod end like in the diagram?

What was there before you took everything apart?

I don't have this generation truck so I have nothing to compare it to.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
No luck with the dealership as expected. If they don't have a part number they have just about as good a chance as me, and seeing how there doesn't seem to be a part number....i digress.
Guess YotaYard or Yota Jims is my next option. Unless you want to part with one??

Anybody else have trouble/solutions with this elusive nut?? Ideas?? I'm close to just going without it since i have one on the other side? Not the safest bet but maybe the only option since this is an extinct bolt.
454663002004 ,

45466 CLAMP, TIE ROD END

Link

Your parts guy is kind of lazy maybe, try that full part number. Honestly they should be able to find it with the Vin and part number prefix.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
454663002004 ,

45466 CLAMP, TIE ROD END

Link

Your parts guy is kind of lazy maybe, try that full part number. Honestly they should be able to find it with the Vin and part number prefix.

Hey Co,
Thanks for the response. I know the Clamp part number - that's not really the issue. The issue goes back to the Jam Nuts. The Clamp was never part of this configuration so i was asking if the clamp could be used. In my case I don't think it can. As OLDYOTA87 was asking - my Tie Rod is a Threaded Tube on each end, it does not have the horizontal slots like the diagram shows. It is also L/H threaded on one end and R/H threaded on the other. So the search continues for the Jam Nut in this case.

And yea parts guys are lazy, but they go by the books and when i'm asking about a Jam nut they can't see on a diagram, i'll always get the same response. Never been lucky enough to talk to a service tech who knows old trucks...
Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Oh, that makes sense now. I've got an 85, so the tie rod has slots and a clamp like everyone else with that later generation. You just remove an outer tie rod end and measure the thread diameter and pitch. Toyota wouldn't have made a whole new threading for that part, so there are nuts out there that'll fit that tie rod.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by gsp4life
Oh, that makes sense now. I've got an 85, so the tie rod has slots and a clamp like everyone else with that later generation. You just remove an outer tie rod end and measure the thread diameter and pitch. Toyota wouldn't have made a whole new threading for that part, so there are nuts out there that'll fit that tie rod.
I figured the later generations were like that too - thanks for clarifying. Here's a few pics of the Driver side Jam Nut, and the Passenger side(cut that one off - NEED THIS ONE***)
I really wish it was as easy as you said, but it isn't. The Thread Pitch of the Tie Rod End Shaft isM17 x 1.5L Not even generic fastener manufactures make that configuraiton it's insane... https://www.belmetric.com/thin-jam-n...039_1042_1641/

My closest guess would be :Toyota Part No.: 90170-18002

I think i'll try the Junk Yards when i get a chance. Was just hoping someone would have better info.

Last edited by Tangerine; 12-19-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:57 AM

​​​​​what about something like these? They're alternator pulley nuts, so should be very strong.

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/95001510.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAsejRBRB3EiwAZft7sE901U ALgRaXNEQHTkp3aCa_O6jY5x2xOu50up0jd3ysRFfPhFI1MBoC em0QAvD_BwE

These next ones are motorcycle axle nuts, and I can't see a photo, but I imagine they're flanged. Could still work well and would definitely be strong enough.
​​​​​​
http://www.ktmperformance.com/axle-nut-m17-x-1.5-duke94.html
Old 12-20-2017, 09:08 AM

​​​​​what about something like these? They're alternator pulley nuts, so should be very strong.

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/...BoCem0QAvD_BwE

These next ones are motorcycle axle nuts, and I can't see a photo, but I imagine they're flanged. Could still work well and would definitely be strong enough.
​​​​​​
http://www.ktmperformance.com/axle-n....5-duke94.html
Thanks for searching GSP - I actually found those same nuts, and at first thought Haleluia finally, BUT they arn't Left Hand Threaded. Smh
Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Thanks for searching GSP - I actually found those same nuts, and at first thought Haleluia finally, BUT they arn't Left Hand Threaded. Smh
I didn't even consider that, which is sad because I just rebuilt my Subaru's front-end last month, replacing everything but the control arms. You're right, I think a junkyard is your best bet. YotaYard in Denver might have them in stock right now.

Btw, where did your original jam nuts go? I'm thinking there's a story here...
Old 12-20-2017, 10:00 AM

I didn't even consider that, which is sad because I just rebuilt my Subaru's front-end last month, replacing everything but the control arms. You're right, I think a junkyard is your best bet. YotaYard in Denver might have them in stock right now.

Btw, where did your original jam nuts go? I'm thinking there's a story here...
Yep i'll be trying YotaYard as soon as I'm back in town.

As for the original Jam Nut, well that was destroyed with a combination of stupidity and a cutoff saw. My front end has never been 'rebuilt' (at least never down to the axle seals), so in doing so I wanted to fix my rod ends too cause they were not grease able and also shot to ˟˟˟˟˟. Everything was seized up really good + I didn't realize the passenger side had a left hand thread (the driver side came off like a normal nut r/h thread). So after cutting the nut off i was able to finally move the rod end, only then realizing it would only loosen from the rod if i turned it right. SO yea stupidity and reckless use of a cutoff saw took care of the left hand Jam Nut.

Maybe this thread will save someone else down the line from my mistake. Hopefully one day i'll convert to HySteer or something if I can learn to weld or find a friend who can, but until then Push Pull it is.

Front end is looking fresh though
Old 01-03-2018, 12:34 PM

So in conclusion for anyone that may come accross this same senario - best to always end a thread with some resolution.

I ended up going to Yota Jims & upon looking through the tie rod bin they have we both determined that what I have as a tie rod MUST be aftermarket, because everything from first gen 4runner/pickup has the same tie rod/clip design as shown above. SO I picked one up for 20 bucks, cleaned it, painted it and installed it using clips. Threads fit the rod everything installs as it should.

I still couldn't help but continue investigating this elusive jam nut, because the tie rod I have which uses the Jam nut is MUCH more beefy. Instead of trying to find the correct METRIC size, I found the closest standard size i could find AND IT FITS!!! I should have known. So If anyone ever comes across a rare metric size and can't find it, try the closest standard size - because that will usually work too!!! For M17 1.5 Left hand you can use: 11/16 Inch-18 Left Hand NF Fine Thread I bought 6 of them for 4 dollars on ebay.

Original Tie Rod installed w/clips (from YotaJim Junk Yard)
Close up of tie rod/clips
Aftermarket tierod w/ Jam Nuts

Jam Nuts from Speedway Motors
Steel Jam Nuts, 11/16 Inch-18 Left Hand NF Fine Thread, Pack/6

Old 01-05-2018, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the follow up and clarification.