Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Hey 1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahaha you are probably right. i am going to get a different light tho and probably a bed bar to mount it on.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=2shots1beer;51993036]@dropzone... thanks man... that carpeting job was cut and fit from a flat square piece of carpet. Started at the center where the shifter comes through then worked my way out. Brought me back to the days of high school carpeting, tinting and installing stereos in mine and friends trucks at 1:00 in the morning.

well i gotta say this def convinced me to reinstall some carpet i wasnt going to but seeing this has got me smitten and now i gotta do it. so any hints, tips tricks. im really excited about this now. but i know im missing that piece to hold the carpet up against the top of the cab under the window so ill have to make something or try and find one someone doesn want.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 AM

Hope I’m not too late here. The carpet I used was purchased at Home Depot at a whoppin’ 59 cents a square foot. The downfall is it only comes in 12’ widths. I needed a 6’X6’ and I ended up buying a 6’X12’ because they wouldn’t sell it to me 6’X6’. So if you know someone who wants to do the same it would be beneficial to split it, otherwise you have plenty to screw up and do it again (which I ended up doing). I particular used the first photo of Viking Buckwheat, Buckwheat being the color. These Viking carpets are designed to be used indoor/outdoor and promoted for indoor/outdoor patios, very durable. Be sure to replace the pad to keep noise and engine heat down in the cab. As for the piece you refer too holding the carpet behind the seats. In my photo that piece is actually doing nothing, it’s there to hold a storage bag on snaps which I don’t have in. The carpeting itself is being held up by good ol’ carpet adhesive also purchased at Home Depot.

As for tips, I found as I went along that the Gorilla double sided carpet tape works well for fine tune sticking (areas that the carpet adhesive didn’t take to well. Let the paste adhesive get tacky before applying pad and carpet. I started in the center where the shifter comes through and worked my way out lining things up like the seatbelts mounts, seat mounts and the edges near doors, cutting and fitting as I encountered each thing. You’ll want the piece of carpet to be larger than the entire area so you know it’ll reach the edges when you get there. I would not use your old carpet as a template because you’ll find that no matter how accurate you think you are that it won’t line up once you start applying.

Final tip. Remove the gas pedal and make an incision where the stop bolt comes through first. You want to do this before making the incision for where the gas pedal actually mounts. When making the incision for the gas pedal, this was the most difficult part of the whole process as you have to be crafty in knowing the pedal is going to need an angel to go down, which means the incision needs to be slightly behind where it actually mounts to the floor. You’ll see what I mean when you get in there!

Good luck and be sure to post a pic when you’re all done!

Sorry for the lengthily reply.

Last edited by 2shots1beer; 11-13-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by shacal13
hahaha you are probably right. i am going to get a different light tho and probably a bed bar to mount it on.
Why get a different light? They put out a good amount of light and hardly pull any juice and don't over tax a wimpy stock alternator. I would just mount it a little higher..yours is pretty vulnerable under the bumper...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Why get a different light? They put out a good amount of light and hardly pull any juice and don't over tax a wimpy stock alternator. I would just mount it a little higher..yours is pretty vulnerable under the bumper...
well im probably going to get a longer one when i get a bed bar if i can ever find one haha.

yes it is vulnerable down there but ill prbably mount this one as a rear facing so i have light all around me. before a new bar comes i will be doing a alternator upgrade or take it to my local guy to swap out the guts for more amperage. im not sure yet haha.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM

[quote=2shots1beer;51998988]Hope I’m not too late here. The carpet I used was purchased at Home Depot at a whoppin’ 59 cents a square foot. The downfall is it only comes in 12’ widths. I needed a 6’X6’ and I ended up buying a 6’X12’ because they wouldn’t sell it to me 6’X6’. So if you know someone who wants to do the same it would be beneficial to split it, otherwise you have plenty to screw up and do it again (which I ended up doing). I particular used the first photo of Viking Buckwheat, Buckwheat being the color. These Viking carpets are designed to be used indoor/outdoor and promoted for indoor/outdoor patios, very durable. Be sure to replace the pad to keep noise and engine heat down in the cab. As for the piece you refer too holding the carpet behind the seats. In my photo that piece is actually doing nothing, it’s there to hold a storage bag on snaps which I don’t have in. The carpeting itself is being held up by good ol’ carpet adhesive also purchased at Home Depot.

As for tips, I found as I went along that the Gorilla double sided carpet tape works well for fine tune sticking (areas that the carpet adhesive didn’t take to well. Let the paste adhesive get tacky before applying pad and carpet. I started in the center where the shifter comes through and worked my way out lining things up like the seatbelts mounts, seat mounts and the edges near doors, cutting and fitting as I encountered each thing. You’ll want the piece of carpet to be larger than the entire area so you know it’ll reach the edges when you get there. I would not use your old carpet as a template because you’ll find that no matter how accurate you think you are that it won’t line up once you start applying.

Final tip. Remove the gas pedal and make an incision where the stop bolt comes through first. You want to do this before making the incision for where the gas pedal actually mounts. When making the incision for the gas pedal, this was the most difficult part of the whole process as you have to be crafty in knowing the pedal is going to need an angel to go down, which means the incision needs to be slightly behind where it actually mounts to the floor. You’ll see what I mean when you get in there!

i appreciate it and dont worry im glad you included everything thats exactly what i needed. the more knowledge i have to go off the better ill feel doing it and im really amped now you did a great job and it looks like a million bucks, hopefully mine wont turn out to bad ill definatly need the extra 6x6 that will help me i probably wont get it the first time but with all these tips i just might. ive been having a hard time posting pictures but once i do it i will for sure try and post some.

thanks again for the help i hope im not the only one you convinced to do this.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 AM

So how did it turn out, any interior photos?

Originally Posted by 2shots1beer
Hope I’m not too late here. The carpet I used was purchased at Home Depot at a whoppin’ 59 cents a square foot. The downfall is it only comes in 12’ widths. I needed a 6’X6’ and I ended up buying a 6’X12’ because they wouldn’t sell it to me 6’X6’. So if you know someone who wants to do the same it would be beneficial to split it, otherwise you have plenty to screw up and do it again (which I ended up doing). I particular used the first photo of Viking Buckwheat, Buckwheat being the color. These Viking carpets are designed to be used indoor/outdoor and promoted for indoor/outdoor patios, very durable. Be sure to replace the pad to keep noise and engine heat down in the cab. As for the piece you refer too holding the carpet behind the seats. In my photo that piece is actually doing nothing, it’s there to hold a storage bag on snaps which I don’t have in. The carpeting itself is being held up by good ol’ carpet adhesive also purchased at Home Depot.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 AM

Previous page 80, scroll toward the bottom.

Originally Posted by Rockalot
So how did it turn out, any interior photos?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Super clean, all original 1980 SR5 2wd 20R w/ 93k original miles

here is my truck
Attached Thumbnails Hey  1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)-toyota-front-view-small-file.jpg   Hey  1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)-toyota-side-view-small-file.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by CottonFog
here is my truck
very nice truck..just need to ditch the whitewalls
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 PM

Previous page 80, scroll toward the bottom.
Thanks, looks great! Wish my floor looked that good under the carpet lol

Nice 2wd CottonFog, leave the white walls, looks more authentic.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 AM

I'm with Rockalot, leave the WW. I bought my BFG's a little over a month ago. Of habit I told Discount "letters in". I've been saying that for 20 years. Then I thought about it and the next week had them flip 'em letters out. IMO it puts the whole look of the truck right back into the 80's.

...haha! I just noticed my avatar is still the letters in photo, need to update.

Originally Posted by Rockalot
Thanks, looks great! Wish my floor looked that good under the carpet lol

Nice 2wd CottonFog, leave the white walls, looks more authentic.

Last edited by 2shots1beer; 11-15-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM

'83 one owner, with 108k when I picked it up last week.
Attached Thumbnails Hey  1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)-img_2745.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Greenlantern
Awesome!
Totally thinking about getting a stock 1st gen to use as a daily driver!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM

@Greenlantern... Awesome find!

@Rockalot... daily? I drove mine to work today, about 15 miles each way. Semi daily, couple few times a week. :-)

Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks Rockalot.
That's what this one is going to be used as, daily.
I have an '84 extra cab that that has 4:88 with Detroits front and back, ome suspension. Nothing real extreme, just enough to get by.
If the economy ever comes around, I'ld like to freshen up the body and keep it relatively stock.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM

2shots
I was looking for the sand colored toy like yours. Nice interior!
I was just happy this one wasn't blue.
I like the Terra Cotta that they put out back then. Also the plain colors Toyota put on most of their rigs back then were easier to touch up or buff out. Being they didn't have all the flake in the paint.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM

stanwood michigan? wow!!!nice.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by CottonFog
here is my truck
did you happen to buy it on cardomain?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 AM

White letter out FTW! Looks awesome!

Quick Reply: Hey 1st Gen Pickup Crowd! **83 & Earlier ONLY** (Post your Pics Please!)