Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

HELP: Need instructions for re-installing windshield on 82 pickup truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP: Need instructions for re-installing windshield on 82 pickup truck

UPDATE: I found a thread here on how to do this so I'm good to go. (It was my thread from a few years ago!) Thanks anyway.

I pulled out the windshield on my 1982 Toyota pickup truck and bought a new rubber weatherstrip/gasket for it. Now I have to re-install the glass.

I have a few questions, please...

1) Do you know of instructions (preferably video) that shows how to install the new rubber and glass? (I searched this forum and Youtube and couldn't find anything.)

2) Do I need special tools to do this?

3) I'm good with tools. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult - what number would you give this job?

Thanks

Last edited by magentawave; 02-26-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
how I did V-Dub windshields and the rear window on my 84...place the gasket on the windshield, get some 1/4 string/rope (550 cord works) and place that in the gasket have some buddies press on the outside of the windshield lightly, start in one corner, as they are pressing down slowly pull the rope out of the gasket, it will help to pull the lip of the gasket over the metal rim

something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQbf
Old 02-27-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by magentawave
If you're asking me... I pulled the window out and ground out the rust and used rust mort but its been sitting there with a tarp over the hood area to protect it from rain while I rebuild the interior (its a Toyota motorhome). I decided to do the painting when I'm done with everything else. I hope to be done in another three months.
Quote from the first thread..

So it looks like having done this several times now. How about answering your questions for the next guy and the rest of us?

Which techniques did you use, how would you rate the difficulty, and how has it held up?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Quote from the first thread..

So it looks like having done this several times now. How about answering your questions for the next guy and the rest of us?

Which techniques did you use, how would you rate the difficulty, and how has it held up?
I haven't done it several times. Today was my first attempt. First I tried putting the gasket on the windshield and then inserting the soapy cord into the channel that goes into the window frame. The bottom of the windshield slid nicely into the window frame but there seemed to be waaaaay too much at the top to even think about getting it all into the window frame. At that point I thought I had done something wrong which is why I came back here to watch a couple videos again. I dunno, according to the videos I did it right. I'll try again before I bail out and call someone. I'll let you know how it went...
Old 03-20-2017, 05:54 PM

UPDATE: I successfully reinstalled the windshield today in my 82 Toyota. The key is to do exactly like the video on this page says to do with the Scout. You will need one other human to help you.

I had a bucket with lots of dish soap and water but instead of a scrub brush, I used a sponge. Like the video said - continually douse it all the way around with the soapy water. I used about 19' of twine I snagged from the outside of Home Depot. The twine goes in the soapy water too before you put it in the gasket. I had trouble getting the top in the frame (bottom goes first). The top just wouldn't seat itself all the way in. The thing that helped seat it was to pull up the gasket on the outside with a plastic putty knife just enough to get the tip of my index finger in there between the trucks frame and the gasket and then slide it along. I could hear the gasket seat as I did this. I did this with my finger all the way around. I had a guy lined up to come tomorrow and install it for $65, which is cheap, but I'm glad I pursued it again and got it in.

Last edited by magentawave; 03-20-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet man. I'll be going thru this soon on my 80.